Registration Renewal Options

What Does it Take to Renew Online?

You can obtain a smog check and renew your registration using the license plate number, last four digits of the VIN and your current odometer reading. Alternatively, many smog station operators will offer to transmit the results of your inspection and your renewal fees to the DMV for a surcharge.

Quick links:

Use MyDMV or a kiosk if you are unsure whether we have your correct address.

If you must renew in person, make an appointment well in advance.

blue car and clipboard

General Information

Renewal Postcard

Vehicle registrations expire on the exact date listed, not at the end of the month. You will receive a renewal postcard in the mail approximately 30 days prior to renewal. You will receive only email notices if you have a MyDMV account and have chosen to go paperless.

You are responsible for timely registration renewal even if you do not receive a notice. Late fees based on the expiration date are assessed for late renewals. Nevada has no grace period.

You may obtain a temporary movement permit through MyDMV or at your nearest DMV office if you must drive after your registration is expired.

Emission Inspections

service engine light graphic gif

Smog checks are required each year in Washoe and Clark counties. You do not need a renewal notice to have a test completed. New vehicles are exempt from emissions tests until the fourth registration. See Emissions for other exemptions.

  • The vehicle will not pass an emissions test if the Check Engine light is on.
  • If you have a monitoring device plugged into the connector below your dashboard, you must remove it before the emissions test. Emission stations are required to fail the vehicle if such a device is plugged in.
  • Don't test your 1996 or newer vehicle right away if the battery been disconnected or is in bad condition. The vehicle will need to be driven under varying conditions for up to one week in order for the OBD-II system to run all of its tests. Obtain a movement permit if necessary.

See the FAQs below if you are outside of Nevada and can't have a smog check done here.

Renewal Options

You may renew approximately 35 days before expiration or up to 18 months after (late fees apply) using the online, kiosks or emission station options. Renew in person outside of these time frames.

You must register your vehicle for a full year. There are no partial registrations. Trailers may be registered for one year or three years.

Have your current odometer reading ready.

See Classic Vehicle Insurance below if you have Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod or Old Timer license plates.

  • Internet


    Begin Here One-Time Renewal

    Or, use MyDMV if you need to change your address or get a movement permit for an emissions test.

    Renewals and license plates are sent to the address on record. We do not accept address changes by email or send stickers to a temporary address.

    Tax Exemptions - You may apply your county-issued tax exemption during an online renewal. Contact your County Assessor to apply for an exemption for the first time or if your voucher number is rejected.

    Complete Streets - Residents of participating counties have the option to make a $2 donation to the Complete Streets Program in their county.

    Choose e-check! We accept electronic checks, Visa, MasterCard and Discover. Using e-check saves taxpayer dollars through reduced fees. Debit cards are processed as credit.

  • Kiosks


    Larger DMV offices and dozens of private locations feature self-service renewal kiosks that print and dispense the registration slip and decal on the spot. Kiosk renewals carry an additional $3 processing fee.

    You can renew in less than 2 minutes if your registration has no address change or unusual problems

    See DMV Now Kiosk Locations. Kiosks at DMV offices accept cash.

    Tax Exemptions - You may apply your county-issued tax exemption at a kiosk. Contact your County Assessor to apply for an exemption for the first time or if your voucher number is rejected.

    Complete Streets - Residents of participating counties have the option to make a $2 donation to the Complete Streets Program in their county.

  • Emission Stations

    Emission Stations

    Participating emission inspection stations can renew your vehicle registration at the same time you get your smog check. Stations are allowed to charge up to $10 in addition to the smog check fee.

    Your vehicle record is updated instantly. Your decal and registration certificate are then mailed to you. It's that simple!


    • Be sure to bring your registration renewal notice with you to the station.
      If your renewal is late, the system will automatically add in any late fees due.
    • Pay DMV renewal fees by cash, check or major credit card.
      Stations deposit cash and checks with the DMV on a daily basis. Credit cards are processed directly through the DMV.
    • You will receive separate receipts for the emission inspection and registration renewal.
      The renewal receipt will contain a DMV Super Transaction ID number in case you need to contact us.

    If your renewal is rejected, the operator will give you a reason for the rejection and ask you to contact the DMV.

    Find a station

    Emissions inspectors at participating stations will offer to renew your registration and may display signage.

    You can use our online Business License Verification to find a station near you. Choose your county, scroll to the right and click on the "REG" link for a list of participating stations.

    Emissions Station listing screenshot
  • In-Person


    You may renew in person at any DMV office or County Assessor office which offers vehicle registration.

    This is suggested only if you have multiple DMV transactions or unusual problems such as a registration suspension.

    Bring your Evidence of Insurance and driver license with you to verify your coverage.

    Professional Firefighter plates and Classic Vehicle plates which carry a smog check exemption may not be renewed by internet, emission station or kiosk. You must renew in person and present the proper documentation.

    Common Forms

    If you are outside of Nevada or cannot use any of these options, please contact us.

    Get your Real ID at the same time as your registration. Click to learn more.
DMV Online, Not In Line logo

Running Late?

Obtain a movement permit through MyDMV if you need to drive the vehicle for a smog check or any other reason.

The system will automatically add late fees. If you have not driven the vehicle on public streets or driven only with a movement permit, renew through MyDMV and you may complete an Affidavit of Non-Operation online to avoid late fees.

If you must renew in person, you may complete a paper Affidavit of Non-Operation (VP 018). Try online first!

License Plate Reissue

If your license plates are more than eight years old, you may receive replacement license plates in the mail after you renew. The Plate Reissue Program helps ensure plates are legible. This program will end September 30, 2023.

Plates and decals are mailed separately. Place your new decal on your new plates when you receive them. DO NOT put the decal on your old plates or you will be required to obtain a duplicate.

Renewal postcards, web services and kiosks will indicate whether you will be receiving plates. Your receipt will show a "Plate Cost Recovery Fee" if plates are being issued.

new Classic Vehicle Insurance

Can't pass smog?

The DMV offers one-time waivers and Clark County operates a repair voucher program.


FAQs/Things to Know

My car is in the shop, not running or my renewal is otherwise late

There are no partial registrations or extensions. Simply let the registration expire. When the vehicle is ready, you may get a movement permit to drive it for the emissions test. You may obtain a movement permit online through a MyDMV account.

You may then renew using any option. The system will automatically calculate late fees.

If you did not drive your vehicle on public streets during the registration lapse, you may avoid late fees if you renew through MyDMV or in person at a DMV office and complete an Affidavit of Non-Operation. Late fees cannot be waived or refunded if you renew at a kiosk or an emissions station.

The DMV is required by law to charge late fees that consist of taxes and penalties if you operated the vehicle with an expired registration. You must pay the full renewal fees for the coming year and the pro-rated Registration Fee and Governmental Services Taxes for the period of time the vehicle was not registered.

Additional penalties include $6 per month on the Registration Fee. The Governmental Services Tax penalty is $6.00 or 10%, whichever is greater (including Supplemental Governmental Services Taxes in applicable counties)


If you drop your liability insurance for any reason, you must cancel the registration and surrender your license plates. You can cancel through MyDMV. See Plate Surrender. Failure to cancel the registration will result in a registration suspension and reinstatement fees. See Insurance.

You must reinstate your insurance before you obtain a movement permit.

Emission Repairs

Your vehicle may be eligible for a waiver if it continues to fail emission testing after certain repairs. See "Test Failures and Waivers" on the Emissions page.

My car is out of the state and I can't get a Nevada smog check

If your vehicle doesn't require a smog check, you can renew online but the registration and decal will sent to the address on record. We cannot send them to a temporary address.

You can't use the online renewal if your vehicle requires a smog check and you can't have it completed in Nevada. Please contact us with your license plate number and current address for fees and instructions.

If you are currently in an area where emissions testing is required, you must have a test completed. Submit the completed test with the other documents listed.

If you are currently in an area where emissions testing is not required, you may complete an Emission Control Exemption Application (EC-8) and submit this with your other renewal documents. You must have the car tested upon your return to Nevada.

Violations of emissions testing laws are criminal offenses and you may also be subject to an administrative fine from the DMV.

You may wish to consider an early renewal to change your expiration date. A college student, for example, may renew in August before leaving Nevada for the year. Those who travel during the summer could renew in the spring. Early renewals must be done in person at a DMV office. Credit will be given for the unused portion of the current registration.

My renewal is due but I'll be moving out of Nevada. Is there any temporary registration?

There are no partial-year registrations or refunds. You must register the vehicle for a full year or drive on a movement permit.

You may obtain a ten-day, in-state movement permit online through a MyDMV account or at a DMV office. These are valid for in-state driving only.

You can purchase a special "drive-away" permit when leaving the state at a DMV office. See also Former Residents.

I want to renew early or change my expiration date

Vehicle registrations enter "renewal status" approximately 35 days before expiration. If you renew during this period, the expiration date will remain the same and you will be charged fees for a full year.

If you wish to renew early or change your expiration date, you must visit a DMV office. The new expiration date will be set one year from the date of the renewal. You will receive credit for the unused portion of your current registration fees. You will need to complete a new emission inspection if required for your vehicle and if the last test was completed more than 90 days prior to the renewal.

I want to change license plates

You must obtain new license plates in person at a DMV Full Service Office or County Assessor which offers vehicle registration services. 

If you wish to avoid personalized or specialty plate fees charged on your current plates, you should renew your registration in person and exchange plates at the same time. We do not issue credits or refunds for these fees.

Please renew your registration on time regardless of whether you change plates. You may renew first and change plates at a later date without obtaining a new registration or emission inspection. 

If the new plates you wish to obtain are in stock at the DMV, you should renew the registration, surrender the old plates and obtain the new ones at the same time. Bring the old plates into the office with you.

If the new plates will be custom-ordered, you may order them in person at the same time you renew the registration. You would then exchange the plates in person when the new set is ready.

See our License Plates pages for different plate styles and for specific instructions on obtaining the plates of your choice.

Smog Exemption for Classic Vehicle/Classic Rod/Old Timer plates

blue classic car hard top sedan

Vehicles with these plates must carry classic vehicle insurance. You must show the Declarations page from your policy when renewing.

You must complete a Odometer Certification for Emission Exemption (EC 018) at each renewal and submit this with your payment by fax or in person at a DMV office.

Fax renewals may take four to six weeks for processing. You may obtain a movement permit if your registration expires.

You do not have to claim the exemption. You may have an emissions inspection completed and renew online, at a kiosk or at a participating emissions station.

Three-Year Trailer Registration

Recreational and utility trailers can be registered for either one year or three years at a time.

  • You will be issued a three-year decal.
  • Registration credits can be applied.
  • County-issued tax exemptions can be applied to the first year's fees only. Exemptions issued in the second and third years cannot be applied retroactively or refunded.
  • Three-year registrations are available at original registration and at renewal.
  • Three-year registrations are not available for fleet customers.

Visit Online Fee Estimates to compare one-year and three-year fees.

Complete Streets

Residents of participating counties have the option to make a $2 donation to the Complete Streets Program in their county. The option is available only on internet and kiosk renewals.

Clean Streets promotes the retrofitting of roads to benefit pedestrians, bicyclists, disabled persons, and motorists. The donation is voluntary, non-refundable, and is in addition to any other applicable registration fees.

Participating counties include Carson City, Clark, Douglas and Washoe.