Real ID

Real ID Go Far with the Star

A Real ID will be required beginning May 7, 2025, if you wish to use your driver’s license or state ID card to board commercial aircraft on domestic flights. Secure federal facilities, such as military bases, already require licenses/IDs to be Real ID compliant.

Check your existing driver's license or ID card. If it has a gold star in the upper right corner, you already have a Real ID. If not, consider an upgrade during your next DMV visit. You can get a Real ID at the same time you do other tasks including a vehicle registration.

Get the details on our Real ID page or visit for interactive checklists in English and Spanish.

More About Licenses

Veteran Designation

Honorably-discharged U.S. veterans may have a Veteran designation placed on their license. Present your DD-214 or other evidence of honorable discharge at any DMV office. CDL holders must visit a CDL office.

There is no additional fee to add the designation if you are renewing your license or completing another license transaction. If you are obtaining the designation only, the fee is $8.25 for a non-commercial license or ID card or $12.25 for a commercial license.

Visit to obtain a copy of your DD-214 or other evidence of honorable discharge.

License Classes

Nevada license classes, common endorsements and common restrictions are listed below. See also Endorsements and Restrictions or NAC Chapter 483.

Nevada does not issue a Chauffeurs License. However, the Nevada Transportation Authority issues driver permits for certificated passenger carriers and the Nevada Taxicab Authority issues permits for taxi drivers in Clark County.

Class A

Class A Semi Truck

Combination vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more. See the Commercial Driver Handbook and CDL Handbook Supplement.

Class B

Class B School Bus

Single vehicles with a weight (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds; the operator may tow a vehicle weighing 10,000 pounds GVWR or less. See the Commercial Driver Handbook.

Class C

Class C automobile

Cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a weight (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less. Class C license holders may tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. If the GVWR of the towed vehicles exceeds 10,000 pounds, an Endorsement J is required.

Handbook: English | Spanish | Audio  Parents Supervised Driving Program: Guide | App

Class M

Class M Motorcycle

Motorcycles. If you drive a motorcycle and a Class A, B, or C vehicle, your license will show both classes, provided you have met all other requirements. See Motorcycles, Motorcycle Skills Test and the Motorcycle Handbook.

Non-Commercial Class A & B, Endorsement J

Class B Recreational Vehicle

RV, boat and trailer owners need a Class A or B license to drive vehicles 26,001 pounds or heavier. An Endorsement J is needed to tow a vehicle over 10,000 GVWR. If the combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle(s) exceed 26,001 pounds, a Class A license is required.

Additional written and skills tests are required. See the Non-Commercial Class A & B, J Endorsement Study Guide.

Endorsement F

Fire Engine

Firefighters, farmers and military members who drive non-commercial heavy equipment. This endorsement is a limited exemption from commercial licensing requirements.

Restriction B


Must wear corrective eye lenses (glasses or contacts).

Restriction J

Map and Magnifying Glass

Two-letter restrictions beginning with the letter J are issued in a variety of circumstances such as driving only on a specific route, during specific hours or only a certain type of vehicle. The specifics will be listed on the back of the license or in an official statement the motorist must carry.