New Resident Guide

Welcome to Nevada!

Read this page carefully to ensure you have everything you need to make your trip to the DMV a success!

Notify Your Former State!

Several states require former residents to return license plates. Others have fines or penalties if you fail to notify them of your move. See 50 State DMV Links.

Welcome to Nevada sign

Items Needed for a Typical Transfer

Avoid repeat visits! Make sure you have all necessary documents. Contact us in advance with any questions. You can transfer your driver's license and vehicle registrations in one visit. 

See Disabled Parking for handicapped plates and placards.

Driver's License/ID

See Proof of Identity & Residency for lists of acceptable documents. You must bring original or certified copies of all of the following:

  • Proof of Identity AND
  • Proof of All Name Change(s) if your current legal name differs from the Proof of Identity AND
  • Proof of Social Security number AND
  • Proof of your Nevada residential address (two documents) AND
  • Your Existing State-Issued License, Permit or ID Card AND
  • Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card (DMV 002):
       English  |  Spanish  |  Tagalog

License/ID Options

  • Veteran Designation
    U.S. veterans should present a DD-214 or other evidence of an honorable discharge.
  • Organ Donor Registration
  • Voter Registration
  • Motorcycle Endorsement
    Nevada transfers most licenses or endorsements.
  • Trailer Endorsement
    Nevada requires special endorsements for Class C license holders to tow multiple trailers or trailers in excess of 10,000 pounds. Additional testing is required.

Driver Testing

All applicants take the vision test. Drivers under age 21 are required to take the knowledge test.

You may be exempt from knowledge and skills tests if you are age 21 and older, currently hold a valid license from the U.S., a U.S. territory or Canada, and none of the requirements below apply.

Drivers who have never been licensed or those who currently hold a license from most foreign countries must take knowledge (written) and skills (driving) tests. See Beginning Drivers 18 and Older or Nevada Teen Driving.

Drivers who have misplaced their actual license may be required to take the knowledge and skills tests if the DMV cannot verify their licensing status.

Transferring drivers will be required to take the knowledge test if any of the following conditions exist:

  • driver's license or privilege to drive expired or surrendered for more than one year (skills test required if more than 4 years)
  • 3 or more convictions of moving violations in the past 4 years
  • driver's license or privilege to drive suspended, revoked, canceled, or otherwise disqualified during the past 4 years
  • a DUI conviction (drug- and/or alcohol-related offense) within the past 7 years
  • any license restrictions which must be reevaluated to ensure the driver has the ability to drive safely (skills test may be required also)
  • Applying for a different type or class of license (skills test may be required also)

All applications are checked through the national Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS). If your license is currently suspended, revoked, or canceled in another state, see Driver License Suspensions.

Vehicle Registration

You must bring all of the following to register a car, truck, RV or motorcycle. Most trailers must be registered and titled,

  • Nevada Evidence of Insurance
    Out-of-state insurance is not accepted. Insurance must be written for Nevada.
  • Nevada Emissions Vehicle Inspection Report (if required)
    See Emissions for details and exemptions. Smog checks are required on most gasoline and diesel powered cars and trucks, 1968 and newer, based in and around Las Vegas and Reno.
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspection
    See VIN Inspections below.
  • Current Registration
  • Current Odometer Reading
  • Out-of-State License Plates
  • Application for Vehicle Registration (VP 222) (If a third party registers the vehicle on behalf of the owner)

See Other Vehicle Types below for trailers, boats, off-highway vehicles, etc.

Registration Options

  • Nevada Title, unless held by lienholder
    You are not required to surrender your out-of-state title. If you misplace it, however, you will have to apply to your former state for a duplicate when you sell the vehicle.
  • Specialty License Plates
    Nevada has personalized plates and specialty plates for charitable groups, veterans, classic vehicles and various organizations. See License Plates.

VIN Inspections

Any vehicle or trailer which has never been registered or titled in Nevada must be inspected. Inspections are done at all DMV offices.

At the offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno, drive to the VIN inspection station outside the main DMV building first. No appointment is required. You may complete your VIN inspections in advance of your DMV appointment.

At rural offices, look for signs directing you to a VIN inspection station. If there is no station, the inspection is completed during the registration process. Go into the office first.

VIN inspections may also be completed by a sworn law enforcement officer, or at any participating business authorized by the Department in accordance with NRS 482.220, using the Vehicle Inspection Certificate (VP 015). Mopeds are inspected using the Moped Registration Application/Inspection (VP 30).

Fees and Tax Exemptions

The DMV accepts cash, checks, money orders for the exact amount due, Visa, MasterCard and Discover. Out-of-state checks are accepted with the approval of a supervisor.


Fees vary by age and the type of card. See Driver's License Fees.

Most Nevada driver's licenses are valid for 8 years and cost $41.25. Licenses issued to those 65 and older are valid for 4 years and cost $17.25. A motorcycle endorsement transfer is an additional $5.

A $25 testing fee applies for knowledge and skills testing.

Vehicle Registration

Have your VIN or MSRP ready and use our Online Fee Estimate (Estimate only - total fees will be slightly higher). Nevada charges a basic Registration Fee and Governmental Services Taxes based on the value of your vehicle. See Registration Fees for a breakdown.

Expired registrations are subject to late fees. We do not give credits or refunds of other states' fees.

Standard license plates are $7 per pair. VIN inspections are $1 each. A title with no change in ownership is $20.

Tax Exemptions

County Assessors can approve exemptions on vehicle Governmental Services Tax for many veterans, disabled veterans, surviving spouses and the blind. You must present a tax exemption statement from the assessor's office when registering your vehicle. Contact your County Assessor for specific requirements and contacts.

Active duty military members who are residents of another state but stationed in Nevada qualify for Governmental Services Tax exemptions. Spouses qualify as well. See Military Licensing for information and forms.

Native American tribal members who reside on tribal lands also qualify for exemptions. They must have the Application for Governmental Services Tax Exemption (VP 154) signed by the Tribal Chairperson.

No tax exemptions are based on age or the size/value of the vehicle.

Print-Friendly Checklists
Driver License/ID: English Spanish
Driver Authorization Card (DAC): English Spanish

Your DMV Visit

See DMV Offices to find a location near you. Our technicians process non-commercial driver's license and registration transactions at the same time in a single visit.

Make sure you have all of the required documents such as proof of identity, your existing driver's license and vehicle registration, Nevada Evidence of Insurance, smog check, current odometer reading, etc.

Bring your existing license plates into the office with you. We do not loan tools.

Metropolitan Offices

Make an appointment! DMV offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno offer appointments.

Arrive early to complete your VIN inspection or complete multiple VIN inspections in advance.

If your license or registration will expire before your appointment, print the confirmation the email and carry that with you to present to law enforcement. You may also obtain a vehicle movement permit without an appointment at any DMV office.

Rural Offices

Rural offices are walk-in based and do not set appointments. Urban area customers are discouraged from driving to rural offices for service. They may be turned away if the offices are at their maximum service capacity.

Several County Assessors in remote areas offer vehicle registration services. You must visit a DMV office to receive a driver's license or ID.

CDL and Motor Carriers

Commercial drivers must transfer their license at a CDL Office.

Vehicles 26,001 pounds and heavier are registered through the Motor Carrier Division.

Businesses which operate a fleet of 10 or more vehicles may register them through Fleets.

Afterward - Track Your License

All licenses and ID cards are mailed. You can track your card through a MyDMV account after you have applied. Sign up using the information from the interim document issued at the DMV office.

Track Your License graphic

Other Vehicle Types


Trailers are exempt from insurance, odometer and emission requirements but are otherwise registered and titled in the same manner as motor vehicles.

Trailers may be registered for one year or three years.

Towable tools (air compressors, tow dollies, cement mixers, etc.) do not have to be registered unless they exceed 70 inches in width.

If your former state does not register and/or title trailers, contact us for an explanation of requirements.

Motorcycles and Mopeds

Motorcycles are registered and insured under the same procedures as cars and trucks. See Motorcycles & Trimobiles.

Mopeds 50cc or less, with less than 2 horsepower, must be registered but you do not need insurance or a Class M license. Mopeds over 50cc are considered motorcycles. See Mopeds.

Riders on motorcycles, trimobiles and mopeds are required to wear helmets that meet U.S. Department of Transportation standards. Eye protection or a windscreen is also required.

Off-Highway Vehicles

Off-highway vehicles, ATV's, non-street-legal motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. must be registered.

Applications are accepted by mail only and decals are issued by mail only.

See Nevada Off-Highway Vehicles for details.


Water vessels are registered and titled by the Nevada Division of Wildlife.

Trailers are registered by the DMV.


Nevada Residency Requirements

You must be a Nevada resident and provide a Nevada street address to obtain a driver license. You may not hold licenses or ID cards from multiple states.

Active duty military members, their spouses, dependents and others living temporarily in Nevada are not required to transfer their license and registration.

Licenses are not issued to visitors. Foreign nationals may or may not be eligible for a license or a driver authorization card depending on their specific immigration status. Contact us for details and see Residency and Proof of Identity.

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 and 483.141 "Resident" defined.

  1. "Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
    1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
    2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
    3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
    4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
  2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.