Beginning Drivers 18 & Older

Real ID Driver License

If you are under 18, see Nevada Teen Driving. If you are currently licensed in the U.S. and are moving to Nevada, see our New Resident Guide.

You must provide proof of identity and take all three tests - vision, knowledge and skills - if you have never been licensed in the U.S. or if your prior U.S. license has been expired, suspended or revoked for more than one year. See Testing for details.

Apply for an Instruction Permit first. if granted, you will then be eligible to schedule a driving skills test and obtain a full license.

Driver education is not required for beginning drivers 18 and older. If you desire instruction, see Schools for Training Drivers.

Pictured above is a new license design rolled out in 2021. See Driver License Designs for the older versions.

Proof of Identity & Nevada Residential Address Top ↑

Click for Self Help Video

Nevada has three sets of requirements for proof of identity. Most motorists will apply for a Real ID driver's license.

See Residency and Proof of Identity and choose the card that is right for you.

You must bring original proof of identity and address documents when you apply. Your existing driver's license or state ID is not adequate proof unless it is Real-ID compliant.

You must complete an Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card (DMV 002):
English  |  Spanish  |  Tagalog

Veteran Designation and Organ Donation

Veterans with an honorable discharge may present their evidence of honorable discharge to have a Veteran designation placed on their license. Visit to obtain a copy of your DD-214 or other discharge document. Anyone may elect to become an Organ Donor.

Homeless Youth Fee Exemption

The Department is authorized to waive the fee for homeless persons under 25 years of age to obtain an original, renewal or duplicate driver license or ID card.  This is a one-time exemption and you must apply in person at DMV office and complete the declaration form.

Declaration of Homeless Status (DMV 128)

How to Apply Top ↑

To apply for an original Nevada Instruction Permit, you must:

Most original licenses will be valid for eight years and cost $41.25. Licenses for those 65 and older are valid for four years and cost $17.25. A $25 testing fee will be charged prior to the written test and covers both the written test and the initial skills test. A $10 retest fee will apply to all retakes.

Any existing ID you may have will be hole-punched and returned to you. You will be issued an interim paper document that certifies your driving privilege. You may choose to receive a Nevada Instruction Permit or to schedule a drive test.

If you receive an Instruction Permit, it will be mailed to you within 10 business days. You may drive only with a licensed driver, 21 years or older, with at least one year of driving experience seated next to you at all times.

You may schedule a driving skills test to obtain your full Driver License. You will be issued an interim document after successful completion of the skills test for a fee of $3.25. The license will then be mailed to you within 10 business days. See Driver License Testing.

Suspensions and Revocations

If your driving privilege is suspended or revoked in Nevada or another U.S. state, you must follow that state's reinstatement requirements. The DMV checks the national Problem Driver Pointer System, Social Security Online Verification and the validity of your address. See Driver License Suspensions - Out of State Issues and Answers.

Non U.S. Citizens

Nevada does not issue licenses or ID cards to tourists. Other non U.S. citizens may, or may not, be eligible for a license or a driver authorization card depending on their specific immigration status. 

Residents of most foreign countries and all U.S. territories must meet the Proof of Identity requirements and take vision, knowledge and skills tests to qualify for a driver license.

Email or call before applying for a license. Please include the Status Code issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. The type of license or ID issued is determined by immigration status.

Non citizens who possess U.S. issued immigration documents may qualify for a Real ID or a standard Nevada license or ID card. Others may qualify for a Driver Authorization Card. See Proof of Identity and Residency and choose the card that is right for you.

Non U.S. Citizens who have applied for, but not received, a Social Security number may attest to this on the driver license application. They are not required to provide proof of a Social Security number.


Canadian applicants surrendering a non-commercial Canadian driver’s license follow the same testing procedures as an applicant surrendering a license from another U.S. State. Knowledge and skills tests may be waived for applicants 21 and older.

Taiwan Reciprocity

The DMV will waive the driving skills test for applicants from Taiwan who hold a valid class B Taiwan driver’s license. This applies to a Nevada Class C Non-Commercial license only.

Taiwanese nationals may apply for the waiver if they meet all of the following conditions:

Applicants must take the vision and knowledge tests and meet all other requirements including Proof of Identity and Residency.

Resources Top ↑

Driver Handbooks (PDF Format)
English | Spanish | Motorcycle | Audio
Parents Supervised Driving Program
Printed Guide | RoadReady App
Use the Driver Handbook to study for the written test. The Parents program is for practical training.
Non-Commercial Study Guide
Class A & B, J Endorsement
Full Handbook | Hazardous Materials

Sample Knowledge Test

Interactive | Text Only


Traffic Law Summary & Education Campaigns

Driver Licenses - NRS Chapter 483

Administrative Code - NAC 483

Motorcycle Licenses - NRS Chapter 486

Traffic Laws - Chapter NRS 484A - 484E

All Motor Vehicle Laws