Nevada Teen Driving

How to Get Your Permit/License

  1. Study the driver handbook English Spanish and take the Practice Written Test.
  2. Take the Online Written Test when you are 15½ years of age or older.
  3. After you pass the written test, schedule an appointment (urban offices) and bring in the required documents to get your driver's permit.
  4. Complete the required driver education course and use the Parents Supervised Driving Guide or download the RoadReady App to track your 50 hours.
  5. Make an appointment for a drive skills test. Pass the test and get your driver's license.
All Driver Handbooks

Knowledge (Written) Test

You can take the Online Written Test when you are 15½ years of age or older. It consists of 25 multiple-choice questions based on the Nevada Drivers Handbook and is available in English, Spanish and audio. A passing score is 80%.

Instruction Permit

Young drivers can obtain an instruction (learner's) permit at age 15½. You must present proof of your identity and Nevada residential address unless you already hold a Nevada ID card. Proof is typically a certified, U.S. issued birth certificate, your Social Security card and two documents that show where you live.

  • How to Apply

    How to Apply

    See Locations and make an appointment at our metropolitan offices. Rural offices are walk-in based.

    You must pass the vision and written tests and have a parent/guardian sign the financial responsibility section on the application. The licensing fee is $22.25.

    A $25 testing fee will be charged prior to the written test and covers both the written test and the initial skills test. A $10 retest fee will apply to all retakes. Written testing closes early - a ½ hour or up to one hour before the DMV office closes.

    Bring your Proof of Identity and Residency and the following:

    You will receive an interim paper document that allows you to drive. The actual instruction permit will be mailed within 10 business days.

  • Proof of Identity and Address

    Proof of Identity and Residency

    Nevada has three sets of requirements for proof of identity.

    See Proof of Identity and Residency and choose the card that is right for you. Most drivers should apply for a Real ID.

    You must bring all required proof of identity and address documents when you apply:

    • Name and Date of Birth
    • Any Name Change
    • Social Security Number
    • Nevada Residential Address
  • Vision Test

    Vision Test

    The minimum level of acceptable vision is 20/40 in one eye. If a driver must wear glasses or contact lenses to meet this standard, Restriction B will be placed on the license or permit.

  • School Attendance

    School Attendance

    Anyone under the age of 18 who applies for an instruction permit, driver’s license or driver authorization card must provide the DMV with proof that he or she meets the minimum Nevada school attendance requirements.

    The applicant must submit a Certification of Attendance (DMV 301) form when applying for an instruction permit. Some schools have made this available online. If a student's permit or license is suspended because of truancy, a new DMV 301 must be submitted at the time of reinstating the permit or license.

    • Students attending high school must have the principal or other school official complete Section 1 of the form.
    • Students who are excused from attendance requirements because of a disability or home schooling must have a parent or guardian complete the first part of Section 2.
    • Students who have completed high school or the equivalent must have a parent or guardian complete the first part of Section 2, complete the second part of Section 2 and provide a diploma or a Certificate of High School Equivalency.

    These requirements do not apply to applicants 18 and older regardless of school attendance or status.

    The Certification of Attendance form is also used to suspend or deny the driving privileges of a student who has been declared a habitual truant under NRS Chapter 392.

    Washoe County

    scannable QR Code

    The Washoe County School District allows students to obtain the DMV 301 online through ScribOrder.

    Call (775) 861-4428 for more information.

  • Homeless Youth Fee Exemption

    Homeless Youth Fee Exemption

    The Department is authorized to waive the fee for homeless persons under 25 years of age to obtain an original, renewal or duplicate driver license or ID card.  This is a one-time exemption and you must apply in person at DMV office and complete the declaration form.

    Declaration of Homeless Status (DMV 128)

Expiration, Renewal and Cancellation

Instruction Permits are valid for one year. If your permit has expired, you must apply for renewal in person at a DMV office. A parent/guardian must sign another Financial Responsibility Statement. Motorcycle permits are valid for one year or until the rider turns 18.

The parent/guardian who signed the Financial Responsibility Statement when the minor applied for the permit can request its cancellation at any time by completing the Minor Affidavit (DP-38) form and presenting it in person at a DMV office. Nevada law requires the permit itself to be surrendered to the DMV.

The DMV can require testing, cancel a permit or deny the renewal if the applicant has been convicted of traffic violations or other offenses listed under License Suspensions and Revocations.

Classroom Driver Education

Driver's Education classroom

Nearly all Nevada beginning drivers under 18 must complete a driver education course. You can enroll at age 15. Exceptions are not made for home-schooled students. There are three options:

  • Attend a classroom course and complete 50 hours of behind-the-wheel experience; or
  • Complete an online course and 50 hours of behind-the-wheel experience; or
  • Complete 100 hours of driving experience. This option applies only if a classroom course is not offered within a 30-mile radius of your residence and you do not have access to the internet.

You may take courses offered by a public or private high school or a DMV-licensed professional drive school. The course consists of 30 hours of classroom instruction. Some private schools also offer a course consisting of 15 hours of classroom instruction and 5 hours of behind-the-wheel training. Schools must be specifically approved for this by the DMV.

See Schools for Training Drivers for a list of licensed schools. The DMV licenses and monitors schools but does not regulate schedules or pricing.

All professional schools issue a Certificate of Completion which must be presented to the DMV when you apply for your full license. High schools may or may not issue a Certificate of Completion. A report card or official transcript is also acceptable.

The driver education course or experience is not a requirement to obtain an instruction permit. It is a requirement for a driver license.

Behind the Wheel Experience

Teenaged girl behind the wheel of car

Young drivers are required to complete 50 hours of behind-the-wheel experience. You must have a licensed driver, who is 21 or older and has been licensed for at least one year, seated next to you at all times. 10 hours of the experience must be completed in darkness. The darkness requirement does not apply to motorcycle licenses. Motorcycle experience should be completed in daylight only.

If driver education is not offered within a 30-mile radius of your residential address and you do not wish to complete an online course, you must complete 100 hours of supervised experience, 10 hours of which must be in darkness.

You must keep a written log of the dates and times of this experience and submit it when taking your driving skills test. Time spent behind-the-wheel with a professional driving instructor counts toward the required hours.

The Parents Supervised Driving Program

The Nevada DMV offers the printed Parents Supervised Driving Guide and the RoadReady app from the Safe Roads Alliance.

Mobile Smartphone displaying Road Ready app

The Driving Guide contains detailed lessons and tips to help beginning drivers learn needed skills and become safe drivers. Download it below or ask for it at the DMV when you complete the knowledge test.

The RoadReady app easily and accurately logs the dates and times of driving experience on your iPhone. The RoadReady log can be downloaded and printed to present to the DMV as proof of the required 50 hours of experience.

You may also log the driving experience on the DLD 130 log forms.

Fill in the DLD-130 form after each driving session and have it fully completed before your skills test.

You must complete the log on either the RoadReady app or the DLD-130 form. Other logs are not accepted. Your parent or guardian must sign the first page of a DLD-130 form even if you use the RoadReady app as your log.

Driving Skills Test

You must be 16 years old to apply for a full license. You must also:

  • hold a valid instruction permit for at least six months prior to applying
  • have no at-fault crashes in the six months prior to applying
  • have no moving violation convictions in the six months prior to applying
  • have no alcohol or drug convictions of any kind in the six months prior to applying

Use Online Scheduling or call the DMV. If someone else schedules the test for you, they must have your Instruction Permit Number or Social Security Number.

You must call to cancel a test. Tests may not be canceled online.

  • Northern Nevada - (775) 684-4368
  • Southern Nevada - (702) 486-4368

Bring the following with you:

  • Parent/Guardian (must sign a Financial Responsibility Statement and Affidavit for Minor to be Licensed)
  • Instruction Permit
  • Proof of Identity and Residency
  • Drivers Education Certificate of Completion or high school report card/official school transcript
  • RoadReady log printout or completed Beginning Driver Experience Log (DLD 130)
  • Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card (DMV 002):
    English  |  Spanish  |  Tagalog
  • Vehicle with valid registration and insurance

You can take the skills test in any passenger car or truck which is properly registered and insured except a rental car. The examiner will perform a vehicle safety inspection and check the Certificate of Registration and Evidence of Insurance.

The examiner will give you instructions on where to drive for the test. Serious traffic violations such as speeding or failure to yield will result in automatic failure. Examiners use a point system to grade other aspects of performance. If you fail the test, the examiner will explain why and instruct you on how to re-take it. A 30-day time limit can be imposed.

Your Driver License

Sample of Nevada Driver's License for new teen driver

Once you have passed the Driving Skills test, you return to the DMV to have your new license processed. The fee is $22.25. We will punch a hole on your instruction permit and return it to you along with an interim paper document that certifies your driving privilege. The actual license will be mailed to you within 10 business days.

Nevada minor licenses feature distinctive designs to help law enforcement and retailers identify underage customers. The license is printed in a vertical format. The date the bearer will turn 18 is printed in red type.

Insurance: Contact your agent after you pass the skills test. All licensed drivers in your household must be disclosed to your insurance company.

Passenger Restrictions

Young drivers may not transport any passenger under the age of 18, except for immediate family members, for the first six months after the license was issued. Penalties for violations include extending the restriction for six months or more and fines for repeated violations.

Statewide Driving Curfew

Drivers under 18 may not drive between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. unless they are traveling to or from a scheduled event such as school activities or work. Law enforcement may ask for satisfactory evidence of the event. This applies to all drivers under the age of 18 until they turn 18.

Local Curfews

Although local curfews are not related to driving, minors must know and obey the local laws.

  • Las Vegas Strip and Downtown - 9 p.m., unless accompanied by an adult.
  • Elsewhere in Las Vegas - 10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, Midnight on Friday and Saturday
  • Reno Downtown Gaming District - 9 p.m., unless accompanied by an adult.
  • Elsewhere in Reno - Midnight all weekdays

Curfews in other Nevada cities vary. Call the local police department.

Other Restrictions

Nevada has a .02 blood alcohol limit for drivers under 21. Drivers can also be arrested for any detectable amount of a controlled or prohibited substance.

Minor driver licenses can be suspended for any of the same reasons as adult licenses and also for non-driving alcohol/drug convictions, firearms violations or habitual truancy. See License Suspensions.

Parental Rights and Responsibilities

Mother handing car keys over to teenaged daughter

The parent/guardian who signed the Financial Responsibility Statement can request cancellation of the license at any time until the driver turns 18. Complete the Minor Affidavit (DP-38) form and present it and the license in person at a DMV office. The license must be surrendered.

Parents/guardians who knowingly and willfully allow an underage driver to drive without a license or drive in violation of any of the minor driver laws are held responsible for any fines and/or restitution imposed following a citation or crash.

Any adult who knowingly serves, sells or furnishes alcohol to a minor, or allows the minor to consume alcohol on his property, can be held liable in a civil action for any damages caused as a result of the alcohol consumption. This also applies to the use of controlled substances by persons of any age.

Out of State Issues and Answers


Nevada honors out-of-state instruction permits. If the permit is valid in your home state, you can drive in Nevada with a licensed driver 21 years or older seated next to you. Nevada also honors out-of-state driver licenses, but you must follow Nevada's restrictions.

New Residents

Drivers education is not required for any applicant age 18 or older, or for a driver under 18 who has received a license with full driving privileges issued by another state. All applicants under 21, however, must take vision and written tests. See our New Resident Guide.

Applicants with restricted or graduated licenses or those with out-of-state instruction permits must complete drivers education unless they live in an area of Nevada which is exempt. The Beginning Driver Experience Log also must be completed.

Out-of-state drivers education classes are accepted if the course instructor completes an affidavit that the school's curriculum meets or exceeds Nevada's standards. The form and curriculum requirements are listed below.

Affidavit of Completion of Out-of-State Driver Education Course (DP-289)

Nevada Residents

Whether you are moving to another state or just visiting, you should be able to drive with a Nevada Instruction Permit as long as you follow the laws of the other state as they pertain to having a licensed driver with you, curfews, etc. Check with law enforcement or state DMV in each area where you will be traveling.  If you are moving permanently, contact your new state's DMV for information on driver education and other requirements to obtain your license.