Military Licensing
Residents of other states stationed in Nevada

Please keep your address current with the DMV as you move. You may change your address by fax or mail. Include a copy of your LES if your physical address is outside of Nevada. See Address Changes.

Nevada residents who are stationed in Nevada are subject to the same licensing and vehicle registration requirements as non-military. See Driver License or Vehicle Registration.

Nevada Driver License and Exemptions Top ↑

Certain persons are exempted from obtaining a Nevada driver license:

If you wish to obtain a Nevada license, the application requirements are the same as those for non-military residents. See:

The driver license exemption is authorized by Nevada state law. See NRS 483.240.

Vehicle Registration Top ↑

Out-of-state residents on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces are not required to register their vehicles in Nevada. Spouses are also exempt if the spouse lives in Nevada solely to be with the service member.

Service members and spouses who choose to obtain a Nevada registration are eligible for an exemption from the Nevada Governmental Services Taxes on vehicles. Members of NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) and other foreign forces are not eligible for this exemption and must pay the full registration fees.

You must submit a Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) dated within the past 30 days to claim the exemption. Spouses have additional requirements that are listed on the VP 203s form.

Complete the appropriate form and submit all of the required documents listed when you register or renew your vehicle.

Click for PDF Help

Only one of the above forms is required. Use the VP 203 form if only the service member's name appears on the registration, or if both the member and spouse are listed. VP 203S must be submitted if only the name of the spouse appears on the registration. You can renew by mail using these forms. See Renewal Options.

The DMV will waive registration late fees for active duty military members assigned to combat or combat support positions. Use the Active Duty Military Combat Affidavit (VP 258) when you renew your registration. This form must be submitted at the time of renewal. You may renew by mail if the form is notarized or you may sign it and renew in person at a DMV office.

Other registration requirements are the same as those for non-military. See:

Importing Vehicles Top ↑

Vehicles purchased overseas through the Armed Forces and titled with a Form AE 190-1A do not require shipping papers or DOT or EPA releases as long as they are built to U.S. safety and emissions standards.

The Form AE 190-1A may be substituted for a state-issued title and registration. Other registration requirements are the same as those for New Residents.

Vehicles purchased outside of the Armed Forces system and not built to U.S. standards are considered "gray market" vehicles and may require clearances from the US DOT and US EPA. See Section IV of our Registration and Title Guide and email us before importing a vehicle. You may also wish to contact our Emissions Lab if the vehicle will be based in Las Vegas or Reno.