Do I Have to Register My Car in Nevada?

You must register your vehicle in Nevada if you are a resident as outlined below or a non-resident who meets certain conditions.

New residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. See our New Resident Guide.

In most vehicle sales, the deadline to register the vehicle is 30 days from the date of the sale.

Laws and Exemptions

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 "Resident" defined.

  1. "Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
    1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
    2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
    3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
    4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
  2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.


Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:

  • if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year
  • if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada
  • if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada
  • if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here


There are some exemptions. You are not required to register your vehicle here if you are:

  • on active duty in the military service of the United States
  • an out-of-state student
  • a registered student at a college or university located outside Nevada and in the state for a period of not more than 6 months to participate in a work-study program for which you earn academic credits from the college or university
  • a migrant or seasonal farm worker
  • a border state employee (commute into Nevada for employment within 35 miles of the border)

You do not have to maintain a registration or liability insurance if your vehicle is in storage or otherwise not being driven on public streets. You must surrender the license plates if you drop the liability insurance for any reason.


Out-of-State Business Vehicles

You must obtain a permit to operate an out-of-state business vehicle in Nevada. See Movement Permits for vehicles 26,000 pounds and under.

See Motor Carrier Permits for vehicles 26,001 pounds or greater. Apportioned registrations are exempt.

Vehicle Types

  • Your Car, Light Truck or RV

    Your Car, Light Truck or RV

    Car Mirror

    Most personal and business vehicles are registered at DMV full service offices or online if purchased from a Nevada dealer.


    There are no special registration requirements for recreational vehicles. Gasoline-powered RVs must pass emissions testing if required in the Las Vegas and Reno areas.

    RVs are exempt from odometer reporting at registration. They are not eligible for online registration.

    You may need special driver license classes or endorsements for large vehicles or multiple trailers. See Driver License Classes.

    Commercial Vehicles

    There are no special designations or license plates for commercial vehicles under 26,001 pounds. See Vehicles in Business for guidance and contact information on your business vehicle.

    If you have 10 or more business vehicles, larger DMV offices have fleet counters to make registration easier and you may qualify as a self-insurer. See Fleet Registration.

    Vehicles 26,001 pounds or more are registered through Motor Carrier.

  • Motorcycles & Trimobiles

    Motorcycles & Trimobiles


    Motorcycles and trimobiles must be registered and insured under the same procedures as cars and trucks.

    Vehicles purchased from a Nevada dealer are eligible for online registration.

    Riders must have a Class M driver license and wear a helmet. See Motorcycles.

  • Mopeds



    You must have a driver's license (any class) to operate a moped on public streets.

    Helmets and a one-time registration are required in Nevada. Liability insurance is not required. See Mopeds.

  • Trailers


    utility trailer

    Utility and travel trailers must be registered to be operated on public streets. Trailers are titled in Nevada. Small license plates are issued for trailers under 1,000 pounds.

    Trailers are exempt from insurance, odometer and smog requirements but are otherwise registered and titled in the same manner as motor vehicles. See Nevada Dealer Sales, Out-of-State Dealer Sales or Private Party Sales. They are not eligible for online registration.

    Trailers may be registered for one year or three years.

    Homemade Trailers

    If you are assembling or building your own trailer, you must have it inspected before it can be registered or titled. See Trailer Equipment Requirements, the Construction Affidavit (VP 223) form and contact us before you begin work.

    Towable Tools

    Towable tools (air compressors, tow dollies, cement mixers, etc.) do not have to be registered unless they exceed 70 inches in width.

  • Low Speed & Neighborhood Electric Vehicles, Golf Carts

    Low Speed & Neighborhood Electric Vehicles, Golf Carts

    Low Speed Vehicle

    Low speed vehicles built to specific federal standards may be registered and operated on public streets where the speed limit is 35 mph or less. Golf carts, ATVs and homemade vehicles do not qualify and may not be converted.

    Golf carts may be operated on public streets only in designated areas. See Low Speed Vehicles and Golf Carts.

  • Off-Highway Vehicles

    Off-Highway Vehicles

    Off Highway Vehicle

    All-terrain vehicles, pocket bikes, motorized scooters, snowmobiles and similar motorized vehicles are subject to registration and titling in Nevada. Nearly all OHVs 1976 and newer must be registered.

    Register your OHV through Off-Road Nevada website.

    Off-highway vehicles may not be driven on public streets or sidewalks except on specific roads designated by local government.

    There is no minimum operator age or driver license requirement for off-road use. A driver's license and helmet are required when driven on public streets.

    Off-highway vehicles may not be converted to on-road use. The only exceptions are two-wheeled motorcycles.

  • Boats



    Water vessels are registered and titled by the Nevada Division of Wildlife.

    Trailers are registered with the DMV.

  • Salvage Vehicles, Restorations, Engine Swaps, Kit Cars

    Salvage Vehicles, Restorations, Engine Swaps, Kit Cars

    Salvage Vehicle

    Contact us with specifics before you begin work.


    Make sure you own the car! You can do a title-only transaction and establish legal ownership of a vehicle without registering it. Vehicles coming from out-of-state must have a VIN inspection.


    Many salvage vehicles, kit cars and antiques have to be inspected by the DMV and/or a licensed mechanic. See the publications and forms under Vehicle Ownership Forms and contact a DMV VIN Inspector.

    Engine Swaps

    See the Nevada Engine Swap Fact Sheet (EC 054). Contact the Emissions Lab in Las Vegas or Reno for requirements if the vehicle will be based in an area where smog checks are required.

    Salvage Vehicles

    There are strict laws, special requirements and several classifications for vehicles that have been severely damaged. Review our Salvage Vehicles page carefully.

    Vehicle Equipment Requirements

  • Buses and Big Rigs

    Buses and Big Rigs

    Semi Truck

    Vehicles 26,001 pounds or more and those registered under IRP/IFTA interstate licensing must be registered through Motor Carrier.

    You need a Class A or B driver's license to operate these vehicles even if they are privately owned. See Commercial Licensing.

  • Special Mobile Equipment

    Special Mobile Equipment

    Road Grader

    Special Mobile Equipment such as road graders and well-boring equipment does not have to be registered in Nevada but vehicles are subject to all other requirements on titles and purchases.

    Motor Carrier offices can issue a license plate and/or special fuel license if needed.

  • Manufactured Homes, Commercial Coaches and Park Trailers

    Manufactured Homes, Commercial Coaches and Park Trailers

    Car Mirror

    These are regulated by agencies other than the DMV. See Manufactured Homes and Recreational Park Trailers.

    The DMV issues titles for recreational park trailers of up to 400 square feet.

Registration information for various vehicle types.

Three vehicles


See Vehicle Industry Licensing for information on business licensing for dealers, salespersons and other businesses.