Registration - Nevada Dealer Sales

Know Before You Buy!

Nevada has no cooling off period. Read and understand the sales contract before you sign.
Learn More

Follow these links if you have one of the vehicles listed:

Obtain a movement permit from any DMV office if your dealer placard will expire before your appointment.

red car with yellow brand new sticker

You must obtain liability insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier in the exact name(s) which will be on the registration and title. Out-of-state insurance is not accepted. The effective date of the policy must be equal or previous to the registration date.

You must apply any tax exemption at the time of registration. We do not issue refunds or apply exemptions retroactively.

Register Online

Pick Your Specialty Plate message

Register your new car, truck or motorcycle online without a DMV office visit! You can transfer existing license plates or get new plates in the mail. Choose from standard or charitable plates.

Begin Here Get Started

You may also register through MyDMV.

You'll need the following:

  • Electronic Dealer, Rebuilder of Lessor’s Report of Sale or Lease (EDRS)
  • Nevada Evidence of Insurance Card
  • Current Odometer Reading
  • Current Registration if transferring plates
  • Tax Exemption Number, if any
  • A printer for your movement permit and receipt

See Limitations for additional restrictions. Mopeds, motor homes and trailers must be registered in person.

Fee Credits / How It Works

Fee Credits

Read these instructions carefully to ensure you get the proper credits.

  • If you are transferring your current license plates, your new registration will be credited for the unused portion of your old registration. A $6 transfer fee applies. Your old registration will be canceled.
  • If you want to get new plates, you will not be able to apply the credit from your old registration unless you cancel it first. Cancel your current registration through MyDMV first, then register the new vehicle.
  • Credit from an unrelated, previously-canceled registration may not apply if it is expired or not associated to your driver's license.

How It Works

Nevada EDRS form with ERDS number and VIN highlighted
Sample EDRS Form
  • Have your EDRS, Nevada Evidence of Insurance and other documents ready, You will need the ERDS Control Number and last four digits of the Vehicle Identification Number
  • Go to Online Registration. You may also create and use a MyDMV account.
  • You may pay registration fees by e-check or credit card.
  • You may use your tax exemption for a Veteran, Surviving Spouse or the Blind. (Issued by County Assessors)
  • You may transfer plates up to 18 months after they have expired. (Plates from a canceled registration may not be transferred online.)
  • Your vehicle will be registered immediately upon successful completion. If transferring plates, the registration on your old vehicle is canceled.
  • A temporary permit prints with your receipt. Tape this in the lower right-hand corner of the windshield and keep the receipt in the vehicle.
  • Your Registration Certificate and decal will be mailed to the address listed on the EDRS.
  • New license plates are mailed separately to the same address.


You must register in person at a DMV office if:

  • you want new personalized license plates
  • you want a specialty license plate that has qualifications. See the list below.
  • you want to use plates from a canceled registration
  • you need to change your address
  • there is a problem with the EDRS, such as a misspelled name, missing driver’s license number or FEIN, etc. (You may wish to contact the dealer to correct any errors.)
  • you want to register the vehicle in the name of a trust
  • you want to use a tax exemption for active duty military, farmer/rancher or Native American tribal member
  • your physical address on your Nevada driver's license is in Clark or Washoe County and you want to base your vehicle in a different county
  • you have a Revenue Recovery case, Insurance Verification sanction, or parking tickets
  • your vehicle is a moped, motor home or trailer
  • the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle is 26,001 pounds or more. Register through Motor Carrier.

Restricted Plate Styles

You must register in person to obtain original license plates in styles that have special qualifications such as Classic Vehicles, Organizations and Veterans.

The following plate styles may not be transferred online:

  • Antique Truck/Tractor
  • Amateur Radio
  • Classic Rod
  • Classic Vehicle
  • Exempt Vehicle
  • Exempt Motorcycle
  • Fire Truck
  • Horseless Carriage
  • Manufactured Housing
  • Moped
  • Motor Carrier
  • Old Timer
  • Old Timer Motorcycle
  • Professional Firefighter
  • Street Rod
  • Vintage
  • Trailer
  • Motorcycle license plates can only be transferred to another motorcycle.

Register In Person

Get an Estimate of Registration Fees online. See DMV Locations and Appointments.

You'll need the following:

  • Electronic Dealer, Rebuilder of Lessor’s Report of Sale or Lease (EDRS)
  • Nevada Evidence of Insurance Card
  • Current Odometer Reading
  • Nevada Emission Vehicle Inspection Report (must be issued by dealer if needed)
  • Tax Exemption Number or Forms, if any
  • Current Registration, if transferring plates
  • License Plates from your current vehicle, if you are surrendering them for a fee credit
  • License Plate Forms for new personalized or specialty plates

A third party may register the vehicle for you. The person must also present an Application for Vehicle Registration (VP 222) signed by the owner. Or, the third party may present a completed Power of Attorney (VP 136) or a General Power of Attorney. Any Power of Attorney must be notarized and be an original or certified copy.

Tax Exemptions & Forms

Tax exemptions for Veterans, Surviving Spouses and the Blind are granted by Nevada County Assessors. The Assessor will issue an exemption number you may use at registration.

Here are forms for other exemptions:

License Plates

Standard Nevada plates cost $7 for a set of two large plates or $3.50 for a single small plate. Personalized and specialty plates carry additional fees.

Browse Plates by Category

Trusts and Transfer on Death

To register and title a vehicle to a family trust, the name of the trust must be on the documents issued by the dealer. You need a Trustee Appointment and Powers Affidavit (VP 188) or court-certified trust documents in addition to all other requirements.

The name of a trustee can be added to the registration.

The name of the insured on the Nevada Evidence of Insurance must match either a name of a trustee on the registration or the trust to which the vehicle will be registered and titled.

The Trust Affidavit for Exemptions (VP 242) allows you to transfer a tax exemption for veterans, surviving spouse or the blind.

Transfer on Death is an option to allow listed a listed a beneficiary to claim ownership of a vehicle upon the death of the owner(s). The vehicle must have no liens. Use the Transfer on Death Application (VP 239).

Third Party Registration

A third party may register the vehicle for you. The person must also present an Application for Vehicle Registration (VP 222) signed by the owner. Or, the third party may present a completed Power of Attorney (VP 136) or a General Power of Attorney instead of a VP 222. Any Power of Attorney must be notarized and be an original or certified copy.

Three Year Trailer Registration

Recreational and utility trailers can be registered for either one year or three years at a time.

  • You will be issued a three-year decal.
  • Registration credits can be applied.
  • County-issued tax exemptions can be applied to the first year's fees only. Exemptions issued in the second and third years cannot be applied retroactively or refunded.
  • Three-year registrations are available at original registration and at renewals including online and kiosks.

Visit Online Fee Estimates to compare one-year and three-year fees.

Real ID

Real ID learn more graphic

Look for a gold star in the upper right corner of your driver's license or state ID. If it's not there, you may wish to upgrade to a Real ID at the same time you register your vehicle.

Licenses and ID cards must be Real ID compliant for use as identification to board aircraft beginning May 7, 2025.

Buying a Vehicle - Nevada Dealer Sales

Nevada EDRS form with ERDS number and VIN highlighted
Sample EDRS Form

Be certain to read and understand the sales or lease contract before you buy any vehicle. Do not sign a contract which contains blank spaces.

Nevada does not have a right of rescission or any "cooling off" period for the buyer. Used vehicles are sold "as is."

Nevada dealers must use standardized contracts which are available online from the Nevada Division of Financial Institutions.

Dealers must issue the following documents to the buyer:

  • Copies of any contract, lease agreement, warranty, etc.
  • A temporary movement placard dated to expire 30 days from the date of the sale
  • A passing emission inspection, if required (tests are valid for 180 days)
  • A drive train inspection report on used vehicles which have an odometer reading of 75,000 miles or more
  • An Electronic Dealer Report of Sale (EDRS)

Dealers may or may not issue the EDRS at the time of the sale. If financing on the vehicle has not been finalized, the dealer may take up to 20 days to arrange financing under the terms of the sale.

If financing cannot be finalized, the dealer then has three options:

  • rescind the sale and require the return of the vehicle, or
  • finance the vehicle in-house under the original terms, or
  • ask the buyer to sign a new contract with different terms. The buyer is not obligated to accept a new contract and may return the vehicle.

Use our online Business License Verification to confirm your dealer holds a valid DMV business license.

Trade-In or Sale to a Dealer

If you are trading in a vehicle or selling one to a Nevada dealer, the dealer is required to satisfy any loan or lien within 30 days. Other states have similar laws but be sure to ask an out-of-state dealer when the lien will be satisfied. The dealer may have you sign a Power of Attorney or similar document if you do not have the title.

Nevada dealers are required to keep your trade-in until the financing on your new vehicle is finalized (up to 15 days). They must return your trade-in if they offer you different financing terms and you decline to accept the new contract.

Keep your license plates. These must be used on another vehicle or surrendered within 30 days. You will be issued a credit for the unused portion of the current registration.

Vehicle History Checks

Use the Vehicle Identification Number to query the following services or use a commercial service.

Lemon Laws

New Vehicles

Defective vehicles must be repaired within certain time limits. Buyers who seek a replacement must submit a claim to the manufacturer first if the manufacturer has established a procedure for this. See NRS 597.600-597.688.

Used Vehicles

Used vehicles are sold "as-is" in Nevada. Dealers are generally not obligated to make repairs or guarantee a vehicle's condition. Any additional warranty must be in writing.

Dealers are, however, required to perform a drivetrain inspection on any light-duty vehicle with an odometer reading of 75,000 miles or more. This must be provided to the buyer at the time of sale. See NRS 482.3665-482.36667.

The Nevada DMV Compliance Enforcement Division fields complaints against auto dealers.

The Nevada Division of Insurance handles complaints on aftermarket warranties.

Vehicle Title

Nevada dealers are required to submit, to the DMV, all of the documents necessary to issue a Nevada title within 30 days of the date of the sale. They must apply for an extension if they are not able to meet this deadline.

The new title will be mailed to the registered owner if there is no lienholder.

You will not receive the title if your vehicle is financed or leased. The title information will be entered into the Electronic Lien and Title system.

You must satisfy the lien before you may sell the vehicle to a private party. Once this is done, the bank or other institution will release the title. The DMV will print and mail a paper copy to you. Be sure your lender has your current address.


Registration documents in glove box

The vehicle registration gives you the right to drive the car or truck on public highways. The Certificate of Registration and your Nevada Evidence of Insurance must be kept in the vehicle. Evidence of Insurance may also be kept on a mobile device.

The vehicle title shows ownership. It should be stored with your other important papers and not kept in the vehicle.