Movement Permits

Image Alt Text


You must have liability insurance to drive a vehicle on any public street.

newYou may drive a recently-purchased vehicle without a movement permit for three days after the date of purchase if you carry, in the vehicle, proof of ownership or purchase and proof of liability insurance. (NRS 482.396)

This applies only to recently-purchased vehicles. You must obtain a movement permit to drive on public streets under any other conditions.

Non-Commercial Vehicles

Permits are printed in the size of an index card and taped into the lower right-hand corner of the windshield.


Blue Mini Bus

You may obtain a 10-day permit online if your vehicle is already registered in Nevada. Use this option if you need to drive your vehicle for an emissions test after repairs or in similar circumstances.

The cost is $1. Here are the rules:

  • The vehicle must have a Nevada registration that is active or expired less than 18 months
  • Permits are issued only to the registered owner
  • You must have a MyDMV account and the vehicle listed in it
  • You may receive only a maximum of 90 days of permits regardless of permit type or how they were issued
  • Online permits are valid for travel within Nevada only
  • Permits will not be issued if you canceled your registration or surrendered your plates. You must visit a DMV office.
  • Permits will not be issued if your registration is suspended or if you have bad debt or a cash-only flag with the DMV

Begin Here Go to MyDMV

In Person

a hand holding cash
Ask for your Tech Fee Refund
while at the DMV

You may obtain a non-commercial movement permit at any DMV office without an appointment. Present proof of ownership such as a title or expired registration.

The DMV issues several types of permits depending on the customer's needs. Most permits issued for specific purposes, such as driving for an emissions test, cost $1.00.

You may purchase a permit for other uses for a fee of $8.25 per day.

You also may purchase a special 30-day "drive away" permit for vehicles being driven out of state. These are valid for a one-way trip to a specific destination only.

Commercial Vehicles

Out-of-state commercial vehicles are required to obtain a permit to operate in Nevada.

Vehicles 26,001 pounds or more

fleet of orange-box delivery trucks

Vehicles registered for Nevada under the International Registration Plan (IRP) do not need a permit.

Vehicles with a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 pounds or more must obtain Temporary Trip Permits for registration and fuel taxes before entering Nevada.

A fuel tax permit is required also for any vehicle with three or more axles.

See the Tip Sheet and Motor Carrier Permits for more information and a list of vendors.

Vehicles 26,000 pounds or less

Commercial vehicles based in other states but doing business in Nevada must obtain a Nonresident Business Permit.

NRS 482.3961 - A Nonresident who:

  1. is not a natural person;
  2. is the owner of a vehicle of a type subject to registration; and
  3. allows that vehicle to be operated in this state by an employee, independent contractor or any other person for the purpose of engaging in the business of the nonresident within this state,

shall, within 10 days after the commencement of such operation, apply for a Nonresident Business Permit for the vehicle.

A Nonresident Business Permit is required for each vehicle operated within the State of Nevada. The permit is not transferable and non-refundable. Businesses must obtain the permit(s) within 10 days of commencement of operations.

The Nonresident Business Permit expires one year from the date of issuance. All applications must be completed in person.

How to Apply

Apply in person at a DMV office. Make an appointment at our offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas or Reno. If you have more than seven vehicles, you may use the Fleets counter.

Bring all of the following:

  • Application for Nonresident¬†Business Permit (VP 264)
  • Current vehicle registration in the state, country, or other place of which the owner is a resident
  • Current proof of insurance in compliance with laws of the state, country, or other place of which the owner is a resident
  • Proof or tested emissions certificate in compliance with the laws of the state, country, or other place of which the owner is a resident

All documents must be originals. We do not accept photocopies or scans. Documents with an expiration date must be valid and unexpired.

Nonresident Business Permit FAQs

What is the cost?

The cost for the first Nonresident Business Permit is $200.00 / $150.00 for each additional vehicle permit. The cost for a duplicate decal is $5.00.

What vehicle types are required to get a permit?

The vehicles required to get this permit are any motorized vehicle 26,000 pounds or less in weight.  If the vehicle weight is 26,001 or more, see Motor Carrier Permits or contact Motor Carrier at (775) 684-4711 option 1. Vehicles registered for Nevada under the International Registration Plan are exempt.

All non-motorized vehicles such as trailers, special mobile equipment and towable tools, do not qualify for the Nonresident Business Permit.

When will I receive my Nonresident Business Permit?

The Nonresident Business Permit will be mailed to you within 30 days of issuance. At the time of application and issuance, you will receive a 30-day temporary Nonresident Business Permit.

What happens if I do not apply?

Per NRS 482.3961, violators are guilty of a misdemeanor and may be cited by law enforcement or constable. The first offense can be a fine of not more than $500.00. The second offense can be a fine of not more than $750.00. Each vehicle is considered a separate offense.

Why must I come into a DMV office? Can I get a permit online or at a kiosk?

The documents required with the application must be verified by the DMV staff. For this reason, permits are not offered online or at kiosks.

What happens if my vehicle is sold, totaled or otherwise taken out of service?

Nonresident Business Permits are not transferable to any other vehicles registered. Simply let the permit expire. It does not have to be returned.

I have not received my permit. How do I get another one?

Come in to any DMV office to apply for a duplicate permit. The duplicate will have the same expiration date. The cost is $5.

If my vehicle is currently registered in Nevada, am I required to get a Nonresident Business Permit?

No, your vehicle is already registered in the State and is not required to get this permit.