Moped Laws at a Glance

  • You must hold a driver’s license (any class) to operate a moped on public streets.  A Class M motorcycle license is not required.
  • Helmet use, vehicle registration and a license plate are required.
  • Registration is one-time only. The registration will remain valid as long as the owner retains the vehicle.
  • Liability insurance is not required
  • Riders must ride in the extreme right-hand lane of a multi-lane road unless preparing to make a left turn, if it is unsafe to do so or if otherwise directed by a police officer.

Moped Definition

“Moped” means a motor-driven scooter, motor-driven cycle or similar vehicle that is propelled by a small engine which produces not more than 2 gross brake horsepower, has a displacement of not more than 50 cubic centimeters or produces not more than 1500 watts final output, and is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a flat surface with not more than 1 percent grade in any direction when the motor is engaged. (NRS 482.069)

Safety Equipment

Mopeds must have almost all of the same safety equipment (lights, mirrors, etc.) as a motorcycle in order to be driven on any public street. Mopeds are not required to have turn signals (NRS 484D.130). See the Motorcycle Equipment Tip Sheet.

Other vehicles with a small engine that do not have safety equipment are considered off-highway vehicles and may not be operated on public streets.

How to Register Your Moped


  • You must have the vehicle inspected at a DMV office or the Sheriff's Office in any county that does not have a DMV office.
  • Residents of Douglas, Esmeralda, Eureka, Lander, Lincoln and Storey counties may take the moped to either the Sheriff’s Office in that county or a DMV office in another county.
  • The inspection will determine whether the vehicle meets the definition of a moped. If it is determined to be a motorcycle, the owner will have to comply with all motorcycle laws.
  • The fee is $1.
  • A new moped inspection will be required whenever ownership is transferred or a new registration is completed.


Moped License Plate
  • Moped registration must be done in-person at a DMV office.
  • If you purchased your vehicle from a dealer, be sure to bring all of the paperwork including the Dealer's Report of Sale.
  • Registration fees for a typical moped will total approximately $60. This includes a $33 registration fee, one year of Governmental Services Taxes based on vehicle value, license plate fees and miscellaneous charges. Tax exemptions and fee credits can be applied.
  • Mopeds are issued a distinctive license plate. A handicapped version is available.
  • The DMV will issue a title for a moped if the owner meets the requirements. If not, the DMV will issue a registration only. Bring your Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, any existing title, sales contract or receipts. Titling is required if the vehicle is determined to be a motorcycle.

Make an appointment at the DMV offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno. Arrive about a half hour early to complete your vehicle inspection.

Ride to the Right

Motocross rider drawing

Moped operators have the same rights and responsibilities as other drivers. However, moped operators have additional responsibilities based on the limitations of their vehicle.

Moped operators must remain in the extreme right-hand lane of any road unless:

  • There is only a single lane of traffic in the direction of travel of the moped
  • Preparing to make a left turn (turn must be made within one-quarter mile from entering lane)
  • When driving in the extreme right-hand lane would not be safe; or
  • As directed by a police officer