Vehicle Storage, License Plate Surrender, Credits and Refunds

Cancel your registration BEFORE you drop the insurance on your vehicle. Failure to do so can result in significant fines. See Insurance.
License Plate graphic

Vehicle Storage

Short Term Non-Use

If you won't be driving your vehicle for a short period of time, you should maintain the registration and insurance.

If your registration expires:

Movement permits and the affidavit are available online through MyDMV.

Long Term Non-Use and Storage

If you won't be driving your vehicle for a long period of time, you should cancel your registration and surrender your license plates if:

  • You intend to cancel the vehicle liability insurance for any reason. Surrender the plates before you cancel the insurance.
  • You have sold or otherwise disposed of a vehicle and will not use the plates on another vehicle.
  • Your vehicle will be stored or under repairs for an extended period and you do not wish to keep the liability insurance or registration in effect.

You can keep your plates and either use them on another vehicle or turn them in to the DMV. Generally, if you have a standard Home Means Nevada plate you have 60 days to turn in the plates or use them on another vehicle, and if you have a specialty plate you have 30 days.

Registration After Storage

To reregister a vehicle with a cancelled Nevada registration, you must obtain insurance and visit a DMV office. Be sure to bring the old registration, license plates and your current odometer reading.

If a smog check is required, you can obtain a movement permit to drive the vehicle for a test. 1996 and newer vehicles must be driven at least 50 miles under varying conditions if the battery has been disconnected.

Moved Out-of-State

Use the mail option below if you moved and still have the plates. See also Former Residents.

License Plate Surrender

Check whether you qualify for a refund. If so, use the mail or in-person options.

  • Online


    Cancel your registration online through MyDMV if you have sold a vehicle or plan to not operate it for any length of time. Your registration fee credit will be listed on the receipt

    • You must use the plates on another vehicle or surrender them through the mail or in-person. Use the address below.
    • You can complete a vehicle resale notification to let the DMV know you no longer own the vehicle. This will help protect you in the event the vehicle is later abandoned. This is an option during cancellation or you can file a resale notification only.
    • You cannot receive a movement permit online or transfer the plates to a new vehicle online after using this transaction.


    Do not use this transaction if you traded in your vehicle while purchasing a new vehicle from a Nevada dealer. See Nevada Dealer Sales.

    Transfer the plates and register your new vehicle online through Online Registration.

  • In Person

    In Person

    Bring the plate(s) and decal to any DMV office or County Assessor that offers vehicle registration services. No appointment is necessary.

    Surrender plates to a staff member at the information desk. Do not place them in a drop box unless it is specifically marked for license plates.

    You may cancel the registration and keep your license plates as a souvenir. Bring the rear plate to the DMV so the decal can be removed in person.

  • Mail


    You may mail the plates, decal, and a signed letter requesting cancellation. You may wish to send the plates via certified mail with return signature required. Be sure to include your correct return address and daytime telephone number in case we need to contact you.

    Department of Motor Vehicles
    Central Services Division
    555 Wright Way
    Carson City, NV 89711-0700

  • Transfer plates to another person

    Transfer plates to another person

    If you wish to allow another person to use an existing set of license plates that you currently own, you should cancel your registration online if the new owner is not using the plates immediately.

    You must complete a License Plate Release (SP 67). The new plate owner must submit this form when obtaining an original vehicle registration. The current registration for the plate number will be canceled if is not already.

    Registration fee credits cannot be transferred to the new owner.

    Home Means Nevada plates must be used within 60 days of cancellation or expiration and specialty plates must be used within 30 days. The new owner will not be able to use them on a vehicle after this period.


You will receive a credit for the unused portion of the current registration fees when you cancel your registration.

The credit will expire on the date your canceled registration would have expired.

You can use the credit toward the registration or renewal of another vehicle which is registered in your name. The fee to use the credit on another vehicle is $6.

You may renew other vehicles at any time in person at the DMV. You do not have to wait for the expiration date to approach. If your vehicle requires a smog check, you must have a new test completed if the last one is more than 90 days old.

Credits cannot be applied to sales taxes or transferred to another person.


You may qualify for a refund of registration fees, which is mandated by the State Legislature and not the DMV. (NRS 482.399 subsection 9)

Full or partial registration fee refunds are available to Nevada residents under limited circumstances. Refunds are not available to former residents.

Only unused portions of the registration fees, governmental services taxes and supplemental governmental services taxes are refundable. Specialty plate fees, sales taxes and other fees cannot be refunded.

Refunds are not issued at the DMV office. You must submit a Registration Refund Request Form (VP 210), along with the Nevada license plates you are surrendering.

If approved, you will receive a check within 6-8 weeks from the date we receive the plates. If an application is denied, you will receive notification from the DMV.

The following criteria must be met to qualify for a refund:

  • The refund request must be made at the time the registration is canceled using the Registration Refund Request Form (VP 210).
  • License plates must be surrendered.
  • The person requesting the refund must be a resident of Nevada.
  • The refund must exceed $100.
  • There are no sanctions, parking violations, or bad debts associated with the registration.

All of the above criteria must be met, and at least one of the following extenuating circumstances must apply:

  • The person requesting the refund has recently relinquished their driver's license and has sold or otherwise disposed of the vehicle.
    The name of the vehicle buyer and the date of sale must be included on the Registration Refund Request Form (VP 210).
  • The vehicle has been determined to be inoperable and the person does not transfer the registration to a different vehicle.
    A copy of any Salvage Title or letter from an insurance company which indicates that the vehicle has been declared a total loss and records are pending must be included.
  • The owner of the vehicle is seriously ill or has died and the guardians or survivors have sold or otherwise disposed of the vehicle.
    A copy of the death certificate or a doctor's note, doctor's bills or hospital bills are sufficient for evidence of death or serious illness.