Registration -
Out-of-State Dealers

Know Before You Buy!

Out-of-state dealers must follow their own state's laws. Review the section on Buying Out-of-State carefully.

Follow these links if you have one of the vehicles listed:

Obtain a movement permit from any DMV office if your dealer permit will expire before your appointment.

hands exchanging keys to red sports car

Buying Out-of-State

Out-of-state vehicle dealers must comply with their own state's laws regarding sales to non-residents. Ask about a movement permit and for details on how the vehicle will be titled before you buy.

Be certain to read and understand the sales or lease contract before signing. Dealers and buyers should review the following sections.

Sales Taxes and Title

An out-of-state dealer may or may not collect sales tax. See the Nevada Department of Taxation Sales and Use Tax Publications for current tax rates. Rates vary by county.

The DMV may call the dealer to verify whether taxes have been paid.

Many dealers remit sales tax payments with the title paperwork sent to the DMV Central Services Division. If the amount remitted is more than the amount due, the DMV will process a refund. If the amount remitted is less, the entire transaction will be returned to the dealer.

Dealers who have questions on the calculation of sales tax should contact the Title Section at (775) 684-4810, 8:00 am to 4:00 p.m.

Utah: Utah dealers do not pay sales tax to Utah on out-of-state vehicle sales. Often, however, they will indicate the estimated amount of Nevada sales tax due as taxes paid to Utah. The full amount of Nevada sales tax is due on vehicles purchased in Utah regardless of any statement on the contract. The estimate on the contract may be different than the actual amount due.

ELT: Nevada uses an Electronic Lien and Title system. Any dealer or financial institution that creates a lien on a vehicle must supply a Nevada ELT number.

Odometer Disclosure

Odometer Disclosure is required on all 2011 and newer vehicles and must be completed on a secure form such as a Title, Dealer Reassignment of Title or a Secure Power of Attorney.

If the dealer is providing you with the title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, please ensure the dealer completes the Odometer Disclosure section on this document.

Dealers may also provide the original copy of a Reassignment of Title or Secure Power of Attorney if the vehicle is being financed.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration now requires odometer disclosures until vehicles are 20 years old, beginning with vehicles of the 2011 model year. The previous rule was 10 years. Older titles may indicate vehicles are exempt after nine model years. This is no longer true.

Your Trade-In

Keep your Nevada license plates. These may be transferred to your new vehicle or surrendered at the DMV if you wish to get new plates.

You will receive a credit for the unused portion of the current registration. There is a $6 transfer fee on transferred plates.

You may wish to cancel your current registration through MyDMV to maximize your credit. However, you must use the plates on another vehicle or surrender them within 30 days of cancellation.

Vehicle History Checks

Use the Vehicle Identification Number to query the following services. There are also any number of commercial services available.

Movement Permits

You must have a movement permit and insurance to drive any vehicle on public streets.

If you will be driving the vehicle to Nevada, make sure you obtain a permit that enables you to drive across state lines. Laws vary by state.

If the dealer did not issue a permit or it will expire before you can register the vehicle, you can obtain a movement permit at any DMV office. Bring the sales contract or other proof of ownership. No appointment is necessary.

Register Your Vehicle

You must register the vehicle at a DMV office before the expiration date of any movement permit issued or 30 days maximum. Make an appointment at our offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas or Reno. Vehicles 26,001 pounds and heavier are registered through Motor Carrier.

Get an Estimate of Registration Fees online.

Bring all documents provided by the dealer. You must have all of the documents from both of the following lists:

Dealer Documents

  • Invoice or Bill of Sale, and one of the following:
    • Title
    • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
    • Security Agreement
    • Lease Agreement
    • Purchase Order
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement, if needed

Nevada Documents

  • Nevada Evidence of Insurance
  • Nevada Emissions Vehicle Inspection Report if needed
  • Current Odometer Reading
  • Vehicle Inspection Certificate (VP 015)
  • Tax Exemption Number or Forms, if any
  • Current Registration, if transferring plates
  • License Plates from your current vehicle, if you are surrendering them for a fee credit
  • License Plate Forms for new personalized or specialty plates

You must obtain liability insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier in the exact name(s) which will be on the registration and title. The effective date of the policy must be equal or previous to the registration date. Out-of-state insurance is not accepted.

You must apply any tax exemption at the time of registration. We do not issue refunds or apply exemptions retroactively.

VIN Inspection

A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection is required on all vehicles that have never been registered or titled in Nevada. All DMV offices conduct inspections.

Larger DMV offices have a separate VIN Inspection Station. You can obtain an inspection at any time without an appointment prior to registering the vehicle.

At rural and County Assessor offices, the VIN inspection is completed at the same time you are registering the vehicle.

You may also have a sworn law enforcement officer complete the inspection and complete the VP 015 form.

Third Party Registration

A third party may register the vehicle for you. The person must also present an Application for Vehicle Registration (VP 222) signed by the owner. Or, the third party may present a completed Power of Attorney (VP 136) or a General Power of Attorney instead of a VP 222. Any Power of Attorney must be notarized and be an original or certified copy.

Tax Exemptions & Forms

Tax exemptions for Veterans, Surviving Spouses and the Blind are granted by Nevada County Assessors. The Assessor will issue an exemption number you may use at registration.

Here are forms for other exemptions:

License Plates

Standard Nevada plates cost $7 for a set of two large plates or $3.50 for a single small plate. Personalized and specialty plates carry additional fees.

Browse Plates by Category

Trusts and Transfer on Death

To register and title a vehicle to a family trust, the name of the trust must be on the documents issued by the dealer. You need a Trustee Appointment and Powers Affidavit (VP 188) or court-certified trust documents in addition to all other requirements.

The name of a trustee can be added to the registration.

The name of the insured on the Nevada Evidence of Insurance must match either a name of a trustee on the registration or the trust to which the vehicle will be registered and titled.

The Trust Affidavit for Exemptions (VP 242) allows you to transfer a tax exemption for veterans, surviving spouse or the blind.

Transfer on Death is an option to allow listed a listed a beneficiary to claim ownership of a vehicle upon the death of the owner(s). The vehicle must have no liens. Use the Transfer on Death Application (VP 239).

Third Party Registration

A third party may register the vehicle for you. The person must also present an Application for Vehicle Registration (VP 222) signed by the owner. Or, the third party may present a completed Power of Attorney (VP 136) or a General Power of Attorney instead of a VP 222. Any Power of Attorney must be notarized and be an original or certified copy.

Three Year Trailer Registration

Recreational and utility trailers can be registered for either one year or three years at a time.

  • You will be issued a three-year decal.
  • Registration credits can be applied.
  • County-issued tax exemptions can be applied to the first year's fees only. Exemptions issued in the second and third years cannot be applied retroactively or refunded.
  • Three-year registrations are available at original registration and at renewals including online and kiosks.

Visit Online Fee Estimates to compare one-year and three-year fees.

Real ID

Real ID learn more graphic

Look for a gold star in the upper right corner of your driver's license or state ID. If it's not there, you may wish to upgrade to a Real ID at the same time you register your vehicle.

Licenses and ID cards must be Real ID compliant for use as identification to board aircraft beginning May 7, 2025.


Registration and glove box

The vehicle registration gives you the right to drive the car or truck on public highways. The Certificate of Registration and your Nevada Evidence of Insurance must be kept in the vehicle. Evidence of Insurance may also be kept on a mobile device.

The vehicle title shows ownership. It should be stored with your other important papers and not kept in the vehicle.