Military Licensing

Nevada Residents Stationed in Other States

Please keep your address current with the DMV as you move. You may change your address by fax or mail. Include a copy of your LES if your physical address is outside of Nevada. See Address Changes.

Nevada residents who are stationed in Nevada are subject to the same licensing and vehicle registration requirements as non-military. See Driver License or Vehicle Registration.

See also Residents of Other States Stationed in Nevada.

Military Star graphic

DMV Services

  • Driver License Renewals

    Driver License Renewals

    Driver licenses must be renewed prior to expiration. Nevada does not grant automatic extensions to military members, spouses or dependents. However, active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces, federal employees and their spouses and dependents may renew by mail continually.

    Renew Online

    If your last original issuance or renewal was completed at a Nevada DMV office, you may qualify for online renewal through MyDMV.

    Renew by Mail

    If you are unable to renew online, please contact us for instructions on mailed renewals. Mail the following documents to the address on the DMV 204 application:

    Recently-discharged military members, members on normal Reserve duty, employees of federal contractors or spouses and dependents of any of these must follow the normal renewal requirements. See Driver License Renewal Options.

    Renew Early

    You may wish to renew your license early in person at awhile you are in Nevada if you will be on an extended deployment. You may renew at any time. You do not have to wait for the expiration date to approach. You may renew at any DMV office regardless of your city or county of residence.

  • Driver License Duplicates

    Driver License Duplicates

    You may order a duplicate and/or change your address online through a MyDMV account. Please contact us if you don't have the information needed to sign up for MyDMV.

    If not, you must order by mail.

    Any Nevada-licensed driver who is temporarily out of the state may obtain a duplicate driver license by mail. If your application is accepted, DMV will mail a new license to you if we have a valid photograph on file. We will notify you of the reason if your application is rejected.

    Your license or driving privilege must not be expired, suspended, revoked, canceled or denied in any state. To apply by mail, please mail the following documents to the address on the DMV 204 application:

  • Original Nevada License/ID

    Original Nevada License/ID

    Application requirements for an original Nevada driver license are no different for military members than for non-military. You must visit a DMV Office to obtain an original license. See:

    Any person on active duty in the Armed Forces who has a valid license issued in a foreign country by the U.S. Armed Forces may drive a motor vehicle for a period of not more than 45 days from the date of return to the United States.

  • Nevada Vehicle Registration

    Nevada Vehicle Registration


    See Renewal Options for complete details and forms.

    The DMV will waive registration late fees for active duty military members assigned to combat or combat support positions. Use the Active Duty Military Combat Affidavit (VP 258) when you renew your registration.

    You may be eligible for a Veterans Exemption and, if so, you may transfer it to your spouse. Apply through your County Assessor.

    If your registration renewal requires an emission inspection and you cannot have it completed in Nevada, you must have a smog check completed if you are currently residing in an area that requires emission inspections or submit an EC 8 application if testing is not required in your location.


    Nevada residents on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces may maintain a Nevada vehicle registration while stationed in other states. However, you are not entitled to tax relief under the Service Member's Civil Relief Act of 2003. You may be entitled to a Veterans Exemption. Contact your Nevada County Assessor.

    If you wish to obtain an original registration or transfer an existing Nevada registration and plates to another vehicle, please contact us with the Vehicle Identification Number and other specifics such as where and how the vehicle was purchased, sales price and any sales taxes paid. We will return an estimate of fees and instructions on how to complete the registration. We may ask you to include one or more of the following documents:

    Use our Online Registration Fee Estimate but please note there are additional charges for license plates, title transactions, etc.

    Emission Inspections

    Smog checks are required on most gasoline and diesel powered cars and trucks, 1968 and newer, if your address is in most areas of Las Vegas or Reno. See Emissions.

    Exemptions include new vehicles on their first, second or third registration, hybrids for the first five model years, diesel vehicles with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating over 14,000 pounds, motorcycles and mopeds.

    You may submit a passing smog check if the area in which you live requires testing. If testing is not required in your area, you may submit the Emission Control Exemption Affidavit (EC 008) above.

    Mailing Address

    Nevada DMV
    Registration Renewal by Mail
    555 Wright Way
    Carson City, NV 89711

  • Importing Vehicles

    Importing Vehicles

    Vehicles purchased overseas through the Armed Forces and titled with a Form AE 190-1A do not require shipping papers or DOT or EPA releases as long as they are built to U.S. safety and emissions standards.

    The Form AE 190-1A may be substituted for a state-issued title and registration. Other registration requirements are the same as those for New Residents.

    Vehicles purchased outside of the Armed Forces system and not built to U.S. standards are considered "gray market" vehicles and may require clearances from the US DOT and US EPA. See Section IV of our Registration and Title Guide and email us before importing a vehicle. You may also wish to contact our Emissions Lab if the vehicle will be based in Las Vegas or Reno.