Disabled Parking

International Symbol of Access

Disabled Parking Laws

  • You may not park in a handicapped space without disabled persons plates or placards issued by a government agency.
  • Out-of-state valid placards and plates from another state or country may be used in Nevada. However, once an individual becomes a Nevada resident a Nevada handicap placard or plate is required. The out-of-state placard will not transfer.
  • Plates and placards must be used only by the person to whom they were issued. You may not use someone else's privilege. 
  • The minimum fine for illegally parking in a handicapped space in Nevada is $250.
  • In addition to the parking citation, the person who owns the plates or placards may be cited for allowing another person to use them improperly.
  • The Nevada DMV issues Authorization Letters that list the disabled person's name and address. These must be kept in the vehicle if it has handicapped plates or with the disabled person who is using placards.
  • You cannot park in a disabled parking stall labeled “reserved for the exclusive use of side-loading wheel chair lift” unless your vehicle displays special plates or a placard and it is equipped with a side-loading lift. (NRS 484B.467 Sections 2,3 & 6)
  • Handicapped plates and placards do not waive parking fees. You must pay any meter or garage parking charges.
  • Disabled Veteran license plates are available to veterans with a 100% service-connected disability. These do carry a fee exemption.
  • Placards issued to individuals are tied to the individuals only. They are not linked to a vehicle.

Standards for handicapped parking spaces can be found in the federal ADA Standards for Accessible Design. Nevada laws are listed under NRS 484B.467.

Plates & Placards/Permits

The DMV issues handicapped license plates for cars and motorcycles, placards, motorcycle stickers and Expedited Service Permits.

Plates are assigned to a specific vehicle. Placards can be used on any vehicle but must be used only by the disabled individual. Motorcycle stickers are affixed to the license plate.

Only those with a permanent disability qualify for license plates or Expedited Service Permits. They may receive plates/stickers for all vehicles they own plus one placard, or two placards with no plates or stickers.

A disabled person with a temporary or moderate condition may obtain only placards or motorcycle stickers.

  • Temporary - Red placards or motorcycle stickers valid for up to six months
  • Moderate - Blue placards or motorcycle stickers valid for up to two years
  • Permanent - License plates, stickers or blue placards valid for ten years
  • Criteria for Disabled Persons

    Criteria for Disabled Persons

    A licensed physician, advanced practice registered nurse or physician assistant must certify an individual's disability by completing the bottom half of the application. The patient must have one or more of the following conditions to qualify:

    1. Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.
    2. Cannot walk without the use of a brace, cane, crutch, wheelchair, or other device, or another person.
    3. Is restricted by a lung disease.
    4. Uses portable oxygen.
    5. Has a cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified as a Class III or Class IV according to standards adopted by the American Heart Association.
    6. Is visually handicapped.
    7. Is severely limited in his/her ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.

    The medical professional must also certify whether a patient's condition is subject to change and, if so, the length of time the disability is expected to last. DMV will issue up to two placards or motorcycle stickers for temporary or moderate conditions.

  • Applications


    Application for Disabled Persons License Plates/Placards (SP 27)

    Organization Application for Disabled Persons License Plates (SP 29)

    A third party who wishes to obtain plates or placards at a DMV office must have a Power of Attorney from the applicant.

    Organizations may receive plates and/or placards for use only on vehicles which are used primarily for transporting the disabled.

    Organizations that use state or federal grants to provide transportation services to the elderly or disabled qualify for exempt license plates and an exemption from Governmental Services Taxes.

    Affidavit for Exempt License Plate Application (SP 79)

  • How to Obtain Plates and Placards

    How to Obtain Plates and Placards

    If you wish to obtain placards only, we encourage you to order by mail or fax. Mail the completed application to the address listed or fax it to (775) 684-4797. You may also visit a DMV office or an AAA office that offers DMV services. See Locations.

    To obtain license plates, motorcycle stickers or a combination of these and placards, you must visit a DMV office or County Assessor office which offers vehicle registration services. Make an appointment at DMV offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas or Reno.

    Select AAA offices in Las Vegas, Reno and Sparks offer handicapped plates and placards. See the DMV office listings.

    If you are obtaining license plates and your vehicle is currently registered in Nevada, download and complete the appropriate application and obtain a physician's signature. Bring this and the old plates to the DMV or Assessor. If you wish to keep the old plates, you must bring the rear plate and surrender the decal in person.

    If you choose to keep the same expiration date, we will issue your new plates with a new registration slip and decal. No emission inspection or registration renewal is required.

    You have the option of renewing your vehicle registration for a full year. In addition to the application, you will need to complete an emission inspection if required and if the last test was completed more than 90 days ago. Your expiration date will change if the current expiration date is more than 35 days away. Credit will be given for the unused portion of your current Nevada registration.

    If you have just purchased a vehicle or are registering it in Nevada for the first time, see the full list of Registration Requirements or New Resident Guide and use our online Registration Fee Estimates. Bring all required documentation along with the completed disabled plate application.

    Authorization Letters

    The DMV issues authorization letters that contain the name and address of the disabled individual who holds the license plates or placards.

    You must keep this letter, or a copy, in the vehicle that is displaying disabled plates. You must keep it with you if you are using placards. It is illegal to park in a handicapped space unless the person to whom the plates or placards are issued is present.

  • Renewals


      Use the mail or fax for placards. Mail the completed application to the address listed or fax it to (775) 684-4797.

      Temporary or Moderate Placards/Stickers

      You must complete a new application and obtain a new signature from a licensed physician or advanced practice registered nurse as your expiration date approaches. We encourage you to order by mail. You will not receive a renewal notice.

      Permanent Placards

      You will be mailed a renewal notice as your ten-year expiration date approaches. A new physician signature is not required. However, you must return the notice or complete and return the top half of a new application.

      Please keep your address current with DMV. You must submit a paper Change of Address Notification by Mail (DMV 22) to change your address on placards. See Address Changes for options.

      License Plates

      No disabled application or medical signature is required for renewal if your disability is listed as permanent in DMV records. However, you must renew the vehicle registration annually. You will receive a mailed registration renewal notice.

      If you wish to surrender your disabled plates, you may do so and obtain new plates at any DMV Full Service Office or a County Assessor office which offers vehicle registration services. Small transfer fees and any personalized or specialty fees for your new plates will apply. A vehicle registration renewal or emission inspection is not required unless it is due within 35 days.

  • Expedited Service Permits

    Expedited Service Permits

    Disabled individuals with an irreversible condition may obtain an Expedited Service Permit. This entitles the holder to receive expedited services at State of Nevada agencies only. (NRS 426.401 - 461)

    The permit contains your photograph and is similar to a driver's license. You must obtain this in person at a DMV Full Service Office using the following application:

    Application for Expedited Service Permit (SP 59)

    You do not need a separate physician's statement if you have already obtained this for disabled license plates or placards. The permit is valid for ten years.

    Permits are valid for ten years. Renewals must be completed in person at a DMV office.

  • Disabled & Decorated Veterans

    Disabled & Decorated Veterans

    Many specialty plates available to veterans can be obtained with the International Symbol of Access.

    Styles include Disabled Veteran, Ex-POW, Congressional Medal of Honor, Silver and Bronze Star, Pearl Harbor and Purple Heart.

    See Veterans License Plates.

Disabled License Plate