Former Nevada Residents

Nevada law requires motorists to notify the DMV within 30 days of the move even if they are moving out-of-state. Mail the application below or fax it to (775) 684-4829. You may also change your address online if you have not yet obtained a driver's license or vehicle registration in your new state. See Address Changes.

Change of Address Notification by Mail (DMV 22)
Applications are also available in Spanish and Tagalog

My new state is requiring proof that no Nevada title was issued on my car.

You must apply for a Title Verification Letter from the DMV Records Section. Complete an Application for Individual Record Information (IR-002). The fee is $8.00.

How do I cancel my Nevada registration? What if I turned my plates into another DMV?

If you receive a notice asking to verify your insurance coverage, use our online Insurance Verification Response or complete the written notice and return it to indicate you have moved out of state.

If you still have the Nevada license plates, please mail them to the Department along with a signed letter requesting cancellation and a Change of Address Notification (DMV 22). Mail both to the address listed on the form. You may wish to send them via certified mail with return signature required.

If you surrendered your Nevada plates to your new state, you should complete and mail or fax a Change of Address Notification (DMV 22) and a Lost, Stolen or Mutilated License Plate Affidavit (VP 202). Check the "Confiscated" box and list your new state. The affidavit must be notarized.

You will not face any fine, arrest warrant or legal action if you simply disregard the notices. However, you may receive an insurance notice, a certified letter and a registration renewal notice on each vehicle. Also, if your Nevada registration is suspended, you may be subject to reinstatement fees if you return to Nevada with the same vehicle.

Can I get a refund of registration fees?

Former residents are not eligible for a refund of unused registration fees. Refunds are issued only in the very limited circumstances listed under License Plate Surrender & Fee Refunds.

My renewal is due but I will be moving. Is there any temporary registration?

There are no partial-year registrations. You must register the vehicle for a full year or drive on a movement permit.

You may obtain ten-day movement permits online up to a maximum of 90 days. The fee is $1 each. These are valid for driving within Nevada only.

You may purchase in-state movement permits at a rate of $8.25 per day for each permit at a DMV office.

When you are ready to leave Nevada, the DMV can issue a 30-day driveaway permit that authorizes you to drive to a specific location in another state. These are valid for a one-way trip only.

See Movement Permits for details. You must have liability insurance to drive a vehicle on any public street.

I need my Nevada license or ID card number or a driver history printout

Your Nevada driver history record for the past three years or ten years may be available online instantly. The fee is $7.00. See Driver History Printout. Your record will not be available online if you have been licensed in another state.

Please contact the DMV Records Section if your record is not online or for detailed information such as a license number or original date of licensing. Complete and submit an Application for Individual Record Information (IR-002).

You may also obtain license or ID records from a DMV office if you are in Nevada, but certified copies are issued only by the Records Section.

We have records for Nevada only. See 50 State DMV Links for other states.

Nevada has a "hold" on my driver license and I need to have it cleared.

Please contact us to have a case worker in the Driver License Assessment Section review your status and determine what you need to do. See also Driver License Suspensions & Revocations.

All 50 states share information through the Problem Driver Pointer System and the Commercial Driver License Information System. A license suspension, revocation or other "withdrawal" must be cleared by the state which originated it. A withdrawal will remain on your record indefinitely until it is cleared.