Frequently Asked Questions


Review the questions and other FAQs below. Don't see your answer? Contact Us.
Question Mark Graphic

Driver License

Can I make an appointment?

Yes, at our offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno. See Appointments. Drive tests are conducted by appointment only.

My license, permit or ID did not arrive in the mail.

newTrack Your License or ID! See "Recent Activities" in your MyDMV account to find out whether your license was approved, produced and/or mailed. Sign up for MyDMV if you don't have an account. Use the date of your most recent transaction as the issue date.

If you do not receive your new card in the mail by the expiration date listed on the interim document, you should contact us. Please email or call before you visit a DMV office. Undeliverable driver’s licenses, instruction permits, or ID cards are returned to the DMV. In rental or roommate situations, make sure the post office will deliver mail in your name.

I want to surrender my driver's license and get an ID card

I lost my Nevada license, instruction permit or ID card. How do I get a duplicate?

You can order a duplicate online through a MyDMV account or in person. The issue date on your license is required to set up MyDMV, so if you don't have an existing account or a copy of your card, you can't order online.

The replacement will be mailed. See Duplicates.

How can I get a Real ID license or ID card?

To upgrade an existing Nevada license or ID to the Real ID standard, the holder must present proof of identity and residency in person at a DMV office. This is required only once.

You have the choice of retaining a standard Nevada license or ID. See the Real ID Act in Nevada for details.

Take the quiz at to see if a Real ID is right for you! If your license/ID has a gold star in the upper right hand corner, you already have a Real ID.


This or a similar statement means that the issuing state offers its residents the option to obtain a driver's license or identification card which is not compliant with the federal Real ID Act of 2005 and that the license holder has chosen to exercise that option.

A variety of reasons may underlie that choice, including personal preference, religious conviction, or the inability or decision not to provide original documents needed to verify identity, citizenship, or lawful status in the United States.

No inferences or assumptions should be drawn about the particular reason an individual possesses a card with this statement. It does not indicate a person's citizenship or immigration status.

A license or ID card with this statement will not be accepted for access to federal facilities where ID is required, entering nuclear power plants and boarding federally-regulated commercial aircraft.

See the Real ID Act in Nevada for details.

My license or ID is about to expire but I am out of the state. How do I renew?

Most driver's licenses and ID cards may be renewed online through a MyDMV account up to 90 days prior to expiration.

See License Renewal Options and ID Card Renewal Options for more details.

If your license has been expired one year or more, you must renew in person. You will have to show Proof of Identity and take the written test. If your license has been expired for four years or more, you will also have to take the skills test.

Military/Federal Employees - Nevada residents who are currently members of the Armed forces, their spouses, dependents or certain federal employees may be eligible to renew by mail up to 2 years after expiration.  Please contact us for eligibility requirements. 

How can I get a copy of my driving record or vehicle records?

Sign up for a free MyDMV account. You can view basic license and vehicle information including status, expiration dates, insurance policies and much more.

You may obtain a driver history printout through MyDMV, at a kiosk or at any DMV office.

See Records if you need a certified copy, are out of the state, prefer to order by mail of if you need the original issue date of your first Nevada license.

See Online Services for certain other records such as business license verification.

How do I change my name or gender on my license or ID?

To change your name, you must present proof of a legal name such as a marriage certificate, certified divorce decree or a court-ordered change. See Name Changes.

To change your gender, simply apply in-person at a DMV office, fill out our driver’s license application and select the gender you deem appropriate. The DMV will place the gender you selected on your Nevada driver’s license or identification card. You do not need a medical certification. Make an appointment at larger DMV offices.

See also the Real ID Act in Nevada. You may wish to upgrade to a Real ID if you haven't already done so.

What are the age / document requirements for a driver license or ID?

You must present the proper proof of identity and residential address for all first-time applications for a Nevada license, instruction permit, ID card or Driver Authorization Card or if your previous Nevada license or ID has been expired for more than four years. See the following for details:

I want to get a Nevada license or ID but keep my out-of-state license or ID.

Sorry, but you must surrender your out-of-state license or ID to obtain one from Nevada. This is Nevada law and part of the national Driver License Agreement. Nevada does offer a seasonal resident ID card to part-time residents who meet certain qualifications. See ID Cards.

Can I drive in Nevada with a driver license or instruction permit from another state or country?

Yes, Nevada honors licenses and permits issued by the appropriate government agency in another state or country. Drivers under 18 must obey the restrictions listed under Nevada Teen Driving.

An International Driver License (IDL) is not required for foreign visitors. An IDL must be accompanied by a government-issued driver license. An IDL is only a translation of a license. It is not valid by itself.


My vehicle and/or license plates were stolen. What do I do?

Use our online Registration Status Inquiry to check whether your renewal has been processed. You will need your license plate number and the last 4 digits of the VIN. Mailed renewals may not be processed until just before the expiration date.

Your registration will show as current to law enforcement as soon as the renewal is processed. It may take up to 14 days, however, to receive the mail. The Certificate of Registration and license plate decal are mailed together.

  • Have you moved? Do we have your correct address? Please look at your current Certificate of Registration. Mailed renewals are sent to the address on record. If you need to renew right away, use a kiosk and file a change of address afterward. Please do not renew on the web or at an emissions station if your address is incorrect. You must file a change of address with the DMV within 30 days of the move. A postal forwarding order is not sufficient.
  • Did you misplace the Certificate or Decal? You can obtain a duplicate online or at a kiosk.

The placard or permit issued by my dealer will expire before my DMV appointment.

You can obtain a movement permit from any DMV office if your dealer permit will expire before your appointment. No appointment is necessary.


My registration renewal is due but my car is under repair and I can't get a smog check.

There are no partial registrations or extensions. Simply let the registration expire. When the vehicle is ready, you may get a movement permit to drive it for the emissions test. You may obtain a movement permit online through a MyDMV account.

You may then renew online, at a kiosk or at an emissions station. See Renewal Options. The system will automatically calculate late fees.

If you did not drive your vehicle on public streets during the registration lapse, you may avoid the late fees if you renew through a MyDMV account or in person at a DMV office and complete an Affidavit of Non-Operation. Late fees cannot be waived or refunded if you renew at a kiosk or an emissions station.

  • Has your battery been disconnected? 1996 and newer vehicles have an On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) system that resets itself when the battery has been disconnected. The vehicle must be driven for several days under varying conditions before it will pass an emissions test. This also applies if the OBD codes have been reset by a mechanic.
  • Insurance - If you drop your liability insurance for any reason, you must surrender your license plates and cancel the registration. You may wish to surrender your plates if the vehicle will be inoperable for an extended period. See Insurance. You may cancel your registration through MyDMV.

My renewal is due but my car is out of state.

You must renew by mail or fax if your vehicle requires a smog check. If not, you may renew online but the renewal is sent to the address on record. We cannot send it to a temporary address.

See Renewal Options for details and contact us.

My renewal is due but I'll be moving out of Nevada. Is there any temporary registration?

There are no partial-year registrations or refunds. You must register the vehicle for a full year or drive on a movement permit.

You may obtain a ten-day, in-state movement permit online through a MyDMV account or at a DMV office. You can purchase a special "drive-away" permit when leaving the state at a DMV office. See also Former Residents.

I received new license plates in the mail or my renewal notice says I am due for reissue. What is this for?

Nevada replaces nearly all license plates once every eight years to help ensure plates are readable and in good condition. See Rolling Plate Reissue.

I have a tax exemption voucher. Can I renew online or at a kiosk?

Yes, tax exemptions are accepted at online and kiosk renewals. Exemptions are issued by County Assessors to:

  • Veterans (disabled or within certain periods of service)
  • Surviving Spouses
  • Blind

See Registration Renewal options. Contact your County Assessor to apply for an exemption for the first time or if your voucher number is rejected.

I didn't receive a registration renewal notice.

Use our online Registration Status Inquiry to check the status of your registration and insurance. You will need your license plate number and the last 4 digits of the VIN.

It is your responsibility to renew on time. Registrations expire on the exact date listed, not at the end of the month. We do not refund late fees.

If you need to renew right away, get a smog check (if needed) and renew at a kiosk. Emissions tests are required every year in Nevada.

  • Don't ask too early. Notices are mailed approximately 30 days before the expiration date.
  • Have you moved? Do we have your correct address? Check your current registration. Please do not renew on the web or at an emissions station if your address is incorrect. You may file a change of address after a kiosk renewal or at the same time as a mailed or in person renewal. We do not accept address changes by email. A postal forwarding order is not sufficient to ensure you will receive your decal.
  • Is your registration suspended due to a lapse in insurance coverage? Use the Registration Status Inquiry. You can reinstate and renew online or at a kiosk if your insurance is current and has been validated.

See Renewal Options for details.

I tried to renew online and it's not working, now what?

Read the error message carefully and check the following:

  • You must have a smog check completed if one is required. Tests are required annually in Nevada.
  • Plate numbers must be entered accurately with no spaces or punctuation. Specialty plates must have the proper prefix. See your current registration or License Plate Codes & Prefixes for your exact plate number.
  • Your registration must be in renewal status. This occurs approximately 30 days before expiration. It will remain in renewal status until the renewal is completed, the plates are surrendered or up to 18 months after expiration.
  • You may be unable to renew due to an insurance suspension or unpaid parking tickets. Use our Registration & Insurance Status Inquiry. See Insurance for insurance issues. You must pay any outstanding parking tickets to the jurisdiction which issued them. Contact us for specifics.
  • You must have cookies and Javascript enabled in your web browser. These are enabled by default in all major browsers. You may wish to renew at a kiosk or use one of the other options if you suspect technical issues with your computer.

I received a renewal or an insurance notice on a car I no longer own or have registered in another state.

See Former Residents if you have moved to another state.

If you receive a notice asking to verify your insurance coverage, use our online Insurance Verification Response or complete the written notice and return it.

If you still have the Nevada license plates, please drop them off at a DMV office or mail them to the Department. If not, you may wish to file a Lost, Stolen or Mutilated License Plate Affidavit (VP 202). See Plate Surrender/Refunds.

You will not face any fine, arrest warrant or legal action if you simply disregard the notices. However, you may receive an insurance notice, a certified letter and a registration renewal notice on each vehicle. Also, if your registration is suspended, you may be subject to reinstatement fees and fines if you register it again.

How do I get a VIN inspection?

Larger DMV offices have a separate building for inspections or a clearly-marked inspection station on the side or rear of the building. Simply drive your vehicle to the inspection station during normal business hours.

VIN inspections may also be completed by a sworn law enforcement officer, or at any participating business authorized by the Department in accordance with NRS 482.220, using the Vehicle Inspection Certificate VP-015. Law enforcement agencies may or may not offer this service.

Why do you require odometer readings?

The Nevada Legislature directed the DMV to collect odometer readings to collect mileage data to help legislators plan for future road construction.

See for more information.


Can I get a refund of registration fees?

In most cases, no. The DMV issues a credit for the unused portion of fees when license plates are surrendered. Refunds are available only in limited circumstances. See Plate Surrender/Refunds. No refunds are issued to former residents.

How can I find out how much my registration fees will be?

Have your Vehicle Identification (VIN) number ready and use our online Fee Estimate. This will be an estimate only and does not include late fees or charges for license plates, title, etc. You can find the VIN on your current registration or proof of insurance. Your Nevada registration lists the original Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. See Vehicle Registration Fees for more information and calculations.

If you are new to Nevada, please see our New Resident Guide. You will also need to know the Nevada county where your vehicle will be based. The Las Vegas area is in Clark County and the Reno area is in Washoe County.

If you are renewing a registration, you can start the online renewal to view the total charges including late fees. A smog check (if needed) must be completed first.

How are registration fees calculated?

Nevada has a basic registration fee that is based on weight. This is $33 for a typical car. Nevada also collects Governmental Services Taxes that are based on the value of the vehicle. See Registration Fees for details.

Buying and Selling

I just bought a vehicle. What are the registration requirements?

Generally, you must register the vehicle within 30 days of the purchase. Vehicles that have never been registered or titled in Nevada must have a VIN inspection completed at the DMV office.

You must have insurance and a movement permit or dealer placard to drive any vehicle on public streets. See Vehicle Registration Requirements or the Registration home page for details.

If you purchased a vehicle from a Nevada dealer, you may be able to register it online without visiting a DMV office. You can transfer existing plates or obtain new plates by mail. See Online Vehicle Registration.

I want to sell a vehicle to a family member or give a vehicle as a gift.

Family sales and gifts are handled the same way as Private Party Sales. There are no special forms or requirements.

You cannot transfer unused registration fees. The new owner pays a full year's registration. Typically, the seller surrenders their license plates and receives a credit toward the registration of another vehicle. The new owner receives new plates. See Plate Surrender/Registration Fee Refunds.

If you wish to allow the new owner to use the existing set of license plates, you must complete a License Plate Release (SP 67). The new owner must submit this when registering the vehicle. Any existing registration will be canceled. Registration fee credits may not be transferred to the new owner.

I want to donate a vehicle to charity.

Charitable vehicle donations are nearly identical to Private Party Sales. Donors must pay off any outstanding loan or lien and provide a properly-signed off title. The charity is allowed to sell the vehicle without actually taking ownership of it by completing the dealer reassignment section of the title.

If you are donating a vehicle, be sure to keep all receipts and documents issued by the charity as proof that the vehicle was donated. Charities are required to surrender any plates left on a vehicle. However, you should keep your license plates and surrender them or use them on another vehicle within 60 days of the donation for standard issue plates or within 30 days for special plates. Notify the DMV through the MyDMV Registration Cancellation & Vehicle Resale Notification. See also Plate Surrender.

If you are buying a vehicle from a charity, you must register and title the vehicle within 30 days of the sale. You must meet all of the registration requirements for a private party vehicle sale. See Registration Requirements.

I recently paid off a loan or other lien or bought out a lease. What do I need to do?

When you pay off a loan or other lien on a vehicle, the bank or other lienholder will release the lien on an electronic title (issued since July 1, 2017) and you will receive a new title in the mail. Ensure your lender has your correct address.

If the liensholder has a paper title, they must sign the appropriate section and mail or otherwise deliver it to you. You may then bring this to a DMV Full Service Office or mail it to us to have the lienholder removed and obtain a "clear" title.

A lease buyout is similar to a vehicle sale by a dealer. See Lien Payoffs and Lease Buyouts.

License Plates

I want to get a personalized or specialty license plate.

See License Plates to choose your plate style.  A DMV office visit is necessary to receive any new plates. Bring any old plates into the office with you.

You do not need to renew your vehicle registration to swap plates unless the registration is otherwise due. The fee to swap plates without a renewal is $5 plus any plate-specific fees, which can vary from $3.50 for a standard motorcycle plate to as much as $96 for specialty plates.

For personalized plates, you may order in-person and we will mail the plates to you. Or, you may order by mail and pick up the plates in person.

I want to transfer my plates from my old vehicle to my new vehicle, what do I do?

When you register the new vehicle, please inform the technician of the transfer or choose the transfer option during an online registration. We will cancel the current registration and credit the unused portion of the registration fees to the new vehicle. Note that if you have used the online registration cancellation, you will not be able to transfer those plates during a new online registration.

The plate transfer fee is $5 in addition to any other applicable fees.

Certain types of plates, such as Classic Vehicle, may not be transferred unless the new vehicle meets the requirements.

If you wish to use another person's plates, the owner must complete License Plate Release (SP 67). Please note that registration fee credits will not transfer.

How do I get handicapped plates or placards?

You must have a physician complete the proper form and designate whether your disability is temporary or permanent. You may obtain placards at a DMV office or by mail. Plates must be obtained at a DMV office. See Disabled Parking.

Does Nevada honor handicapped placards or license plates from other states or counties?

Yes, as long as the placard or plate was issued by the appropriate government agency in the other state or country. Placards purchased from private companies are not valid. See Disabled Parking.


Credit Card logos

The DMV accepts cash, checks, money orders for the exact amount, Visa, MasterCard and Discover. Out-of-state checks can be accepted with supervisor approval.

Your driver license and/or vehicle registration may be suspended if a check or other payment is not honored.

Other FAQs