Driver Authorization Cards

Nevada residents who cannot meet the proof of identity requirements for a driver's license or ID card may be able to obtain a Driver Authorization Card.
Sample iamge of an adult Driver Authorization Card

General Information

Driver Authorization Cards (DAC) authorize the holder to drive a motor vehicle on Nevada public streets and highways. A DAC is not valid as identification to obtain any state benefits, licenses or services or for federal purposes such as boarding aircraft or entering facilities where ID is required.

Driver Authorization Cards are valid for four years and expire on your birthday.


The DMV will mail a renewal notice no later than 30 days prior to expiration.

Renewals must be completed at a DMV office in person. Make an appointment at our offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno.


Customers without a Social Security number may now use MyDMV for duplicate DACs, address changes and much more! See Online Services.

Documents You Will Need

To apply for a Driver Authorization Card, you must meet the requirements in three areas:

  • Proof of Identity
  • Translations of any documents not in English
  • Proof of Nevada Residency

All documents must be originals. We do not accept photocopies. Documents with an expiration date must be valid and unexpired.

Proof of Identity


Proof of Nevada Residential Address


Honorably-discharged U.S. military veterans may have a Veteran designation placed on their license or ID.

Present your DD-214 or other evidence of honorable discharge.

How to Apply

Driver Authorization Cards are issued under the same procedures as standard licenses. All of the same rules, regulations and fees apply.

You must apply in person at a DMV office and bring the required documents. Make an appointment for our offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas or Reno.

The exact procedures depend on your age and current licensing status. Visit one of the following pages:

Residents of U.S. territories must take vision, knowledge and skills tests as outlined under Beginning or Teen Drivers. Cards are not issued to visitors or out-of-state students.


All applicants take a vision test at the DMV.

Applicants who are not currently licensed in the U.S. must take written and driving tests.

The written test is given at the time you apply. We do not make appointments for written tests.

You may make an appointment for a driving test only after you have passed the written test. Set your appointment before you leave the DMV office. You may also schedule it online or by telephone.


Private driving schools and instructors must be licensed by the DMV and meet minimum educational standards. See Schools for Training Drivers for licensed schools in your area.


Knowledge (Written) Test

An applicant who has a lack of English or Spanish language skills may use an interpreter during a written examination for a driver’s license, driver authorization card or instruction permit.

Interpreters must attest that they are approved by a governmental agency, court, educational institution, or non-profit advocacy group by presenting a letter from the approving agency and completing an "Affidavit of Oath for Interpreters" form at the DMV office. Self-certification as a DMV translator does not qualify.

The applicant must bear any cost of the interpreter’s services. Interpreters may not provide services for family members.

Skills (Drive) Test

The Department does not allow interpreters to be present during any drive test.

Homeless Youth Fee Exemption

The Department is authorized to waive the fee for homeless persons under 25 years of age to obtain an original, renewal or duplicate license, ID or DAC.  This is a one-time exemption. You must apply in person at DMV office and complete the declaration form.

Declaration of Homeless Status (DMV 128)

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the cost?

Driver Authorization Cards cost $22.25 plus an additional $25 testing fee if tests are required. Retests are $10 each.

Renewals cost $22.25. You must renew in person at a DMV office. DACs are valid for four years and expire on your birthday.

Do I have to take tests?

All applicants take a vision test. A written and drive test will be required if you have never been licensed in the U.S. Tests may be waived if you hold a current U.S. driver's license. See Testing.

I lost my DAC. How do I get a duplicate?

Use MyDMV. If you do not have all of the information needed for a MyDMV account, apply in person at a DMV office. The fee is $17.25.

How are DACs different from other licenses in appearance?

There are only two differences between a DAC and a standard Nevada license. A DAC will state "Not Valid for ID" in the top portion. The blue banner will state "Driver Authorization Card" rather than "Driver License." The appearance is otherwise identical.

Can I drive in another state with my DAC?

Check with the Highway Patrol or other law enforcement agency in each area where you will drive. The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators has ruled that the DAC driving privilege should be valid in other states under national compacts and reciprocal agreements. However, each state or jurisdiction may set its own policies.

I hold a license or ID card in another state. Do I have to surrender it?

Yes. Nevada law requires residents of this state to surrender any out-of-state license or ID card in order to obtain a Nevada license or DAC. We will punch "VOID" on the card and return it to you to use until your new DAC arrives in the mail.

Can I drive commercial vehicles using a DAC or obtain an equivalent commercial license?

No. Commercial drivers must meet the proof of identity requirements for a Real ID or standard license and comply with federal commercial licensing laws. See Commercial Licensing.

I have a license suspension or revocation. Can I get a DAC?

If you have a license suspension or revocation in Nevada or any other U.S. state, you will not be able to obtain a DAC until the suspension or revocation is cleared.

All driver's license laws pertaining to demerit points, suspensions, revocations, insurance company reporting, etc., apply to DACs. See License Suspensions & Revocations and Demerit Point System.

Demerit points, suspensions, revocations and other driving information on your DAC will be reported to other states in the same manner as a standard license.

Will my information be turned over to federal immigration authorities?

No. Nevada law specifically prohibits this:

The Director shall not release any information relating to legal presence or any other information relating to or describing immigration status, nationality or citizenship from a file or record relating to a request for or the issuance of a license, identification card or title or registration of a vehicle to any person or to any federal, state or local governmental entity for any purpose relating to the enforcement of immigration laws. (NRS 481.063 Section 10)

Can I use the DAC to cash my check, purchase alcohol, or as ID for notarized documents?

Private businesses have the right to accept or deny the DAC. The DMV will accept the DAC as identification for Nevada DMV forms where signatures must be witnessed.

Nevada law specifies DACS are not accepted as proof of identity for any state services:

A driver authorization card shall not be used to determine eligibility for any benefits, licenses or services issued or provided by this State or its political subdivisions. (NRS 483.291 Section 7)

DACs are also not accepted for federal purposes such as boarding aircraft or entering a federal building where identification is required.

Can U.S. citizens or immigrants with U.S. issued documents apply for a DAC?

Yes. This may be desirable if the person does not have the documents required for a driver's license but wishes to drive while obtaining them.

See Residency and Proof of Identity if you are a U.S. citizen or an immigrant with U.S. issued immigration documents.

Safe Driving

Driver Handbooks

English | Spanish | Motorcycle | Audio

Buckle Up!

Seat belt and child safety seat tip sheets:  English  |  Spanish


Organ Donation

Donate Life logo

Give the Gift of Life! One donor can save up to 8 lives and heal more than 50 people.

You have the option of becoming an Organ Donor and having this listed on your driver authorization card. You may become a donor or remove the designation when the card is first issued, upon renewal or upon a change of address.