Hazardous Materials Endorsements

Any driver who has a disqualifying offense that prohibits holding a Hazmat Endorsement must immediately surrender the endorsement. See Disqualification.

Orange Tanker Tractor Trailer

Mandatory Training

You must complete training from a provider listed in the federal Training Provider Registry before you can take the knowledge test for a hazmat endorsement. You must also complete the background check prior to the test.

Background Check

Federal laws enforced by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) require commercial drivers who haul hazardous materials to undergo a fingerprint-based Security Threat Assessment.

All persons who apply for, or renew, a hazardous materials endorsement must be fingerprinted, pass the required background check and present proof of residency prior to receiving the endorsement. This is in addition to all other DMV testing and CDL requirements.

You must hold a Commercial Drivers License or Instruction Permit prior to fingerprinting. If you do not currently hold any CDL or permit, you must apply and pass the appropriate basic CDL knowledge tests at the DMV first. See Commercial Learner Permit. You may not take the Hazardous Materials knowledge test until after you have been approved by the TSA. 

To hold a Hazardous Materials endorsement, a driver must be age 21 or older, a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident; cannot have a disqualifying criminal offense; cannot be adjudicated as mentally incompetent or involuntarily committed to a mental institution; and must not pose a threat of terrorism or a threat to national or transportation security.

If you meet these requirements, the approval for a Hazmat Endorsement is a four-step process:

  • Complete the TSA application online or by phone prior to fingerprinting
  • Have proper proof of identity ready and visit an approved Fingerprinting Agent
  • TSA will complete a Security Threat Assessment
  • TSA will mail a status notification to the driver and forward the results to the state DMV
  • TSA Application

    You must complete the Application for a Hazardous Materials Endorsement by Internet or telephone.

    Online: universalenroll.dhs.gov

    Telephone: (855) 347-8371


    • Fingerprint Collection Fee - $38
    • Threat Assessment Fee - $34
    • FBI Fee - $14.50
    • Total Fees - $86.50

    Enrollment centers accept checks, money orders, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit cards, but not cash. No change or refunds will be given.

  • Fingerprinting


    You must complete the Transportation Security Administration application and hold a commercial driver license or instruction permit before visiting a Fingerprinting Agent.

    You must present one form of primary identification or two forms of secondary identification, one of which must be your CDL or instruction permit. A list of the primary and secondary documents can be found at HME Determine Documents. Also see the HME and Fingerprinting FAQs.

    Fingerprints must be taken and submitted through the TSA's Authorized Fingerprinting Agent, IdentoGO. Fingerprints taken by law enforcement or through a private vendor will not be accepted.

    Visit the Universal Enrollment Center Locator for locations. If you are traveling through other states, you may go to any authorized center for fingerprinting.

  • Waiting for Your Results

    Waiting for Your Results

    Once printed, wait for notification from the Transportation Security Administration before visiting the DMV. We will not administer the Hazardous Materials knowledge test or issue the endorsement unless an “Approved” status is received from TSA. There is no grace period.

    Results should be received from the TSA via U.S. mail within 30 days of being fingerprinted. Please do not contact the DMV if you do not receive your results.

    To check your status, call TSA at (855) 347-8371. Drivers may check whether their application has been received and/or processed. Information will be given to the applicant only and will not include any information on the screening results.

Out-of-State Transfers

If you completed the background check in your prior state, please bring your TSA approval letter to the DMV to transfer the endorsement.

DMV Application and Testing

Once the TSA has approved your fingerprint check, you may take the Hazardous Materials knowledge test and receive the endorsement.

An individual applying for issuance or renewal of a Hazmat endorsement must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident of the U.S. Federal regulations require proof of status be submitted to DMV at the time of your application for the Hazmat endorsement.

Be prepared to provide Residency and Proof of Identity for a list of acceptable documents. You may wish to upgrade to a Real ID license at the time of your test if you hold a standard license. There is no additional fee.

All commercial driver transactions must be completed at a CDL Office. See also Commercial Driver License Fees.


Your TSA background check is valid for five years. The Department will notify you by mail approximately 90 days before it is due to expire. You must submit to a new background check if you wish to keep your endorsement.

You must receive a new fingerprint approval from the TSA, remove the endorsement or downgrade your license prior to expiration. If you do not, your driver license and all driving privileges will be suspended. The DMV will send you a certified letter approximately 10 days prior to the suspension.


TSA requires an individual who is prohibited from holding a CDL with Hazmat endorsement, based on a disqualifying event, to surrender the endorsement. If you know you will not qualify, you must surrender your endorsement. You may save the fees for the fingerprint check by voluntarily surrendering your endorsement at any DMV office. (49 CFR 1572.5)

The Transportation Security Administration has developed lists of crimes that pose a potential threat to the nation's transportation network. Some offenses disqualify a driver for up to seven years. Others disqualify the driver for life. TSA may grant waivers in certain circumstances. Please follow the links below.