How to Apply
You must be a Nevada resident and the vehicle must be present in Nevada.
Applications are not accepted at DMV Field Services offices.
Bonded vehicle titles are processed by the Title Research Section in Carson City only. Affidavits and forms are available only through Title Research.
Do not purchase a bond prior to receiving documentation from the Department authorizing the bonded title and the bond amount required.
Here are the steps in the process:
- Contact the Department’s Title Research Section, in Carson City, (775) 684-4810, 8:00 am to 1:00 p.m. only.
- Complete parts 1 and 2 of the Affidavit for Bonded Vehicle Title (VP 271). Vehicle inspections may be completed at DMV offices, by a sworn law enforcement officer or by a business authorized by the DMV in accordance with NRS 482.220.
- Send the Affidavit for Bonded Vehicle Title (VP 271) and copies of all ownership documents to the Title Research Section.
- The Department will conduct a vehicle theft and brand history search.
- The Department will calculate the bond amount based on the original Manufacturer’s Retail Price (MRP).
- The Department will return the bond amount, listing of required documents and any additional requirements.
- Obtain the bond and complete the Vehicle Bond Affidavit (VP 272).
- Complete all areas in full, either typed or printed in ink.
- Part 4 of the Affidavit for Bonded Vehicle Title (VP 271) must be notarized or witnessed by an authorized DMV employee.
- Return all original documentation and fees to the Title Research Section in Carson City.
Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles
Title Research Section
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711
Please use traceable mail or a service that tracks your package. You may wish to use certified or registered mail when sending original documents.
The title will be mailed to you once issued or to the lienholder, if any. Dealers and financial institutions are required to use the DMV's Electronic Lien and Title system.
Once the title has been issued, you may register the vehicle. All normal registration requirements apply. If the title is issued on a salvage vehicle, you must follow the salvage vehicle procedures to rebuild the vehicle before it can be registered or sold.