New Motor Carriers

How to establish a new Motor Carrier business in Nevada.

See also:

Orange Semi Truck

New Motor Carriers must comply with various federal regulations and obtain Operating Authority, state and local business licenses, vehicle registration and, if operating interstate, a fuel tax license. See Overview of Motor Carrier Regulations.

Federal Regulations

USDOT and MC Numbers

Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and must have a USDOT Number. Many are required to have an MC Number (Operating Authority) as well.

Nevada requires a USDOT Number on all intrastate companies operating commercial vehicles rated 26,001 pounds or heavier.

Apply through the Unified Registration System (URS). See also FMCSA Insurance Requirements.

UCR Registration

If you operate any truck or bus in interstate commerce, you must register with the federal Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program. UCR registration is not necessary if you operate intrastate only.

Nevada is a non-participating state and does not offer this service. However, Nevada-based carriers must comply with UCR. You must register with a participating state. Information and online registration are available at

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax

All motor vehicles, including farmer/rancher and special mobile equipment, operating at or registered for a gross vehicle weight (GVW) in excess of 55,000 pounds must show proof of payment of Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (per U.S.C. Title 23 Section 141) on IRS Form 2290.

See the following IRS web pages:

Hazardous Materials

Hazardous Materials permits are issued by the Hazmat Alliance.

State and Local Licensing

Business Licenses

SilverFlume logo

You must obtain the proper business licenses from the State of Nevada and your local government.

Apply for your state license online through SilverFlume, which has complete information on starting or growing a Nevada business. Many small trucking firms file as a Sole Proprietor.

You may also use Paper Forms from the Nevada Secretary of State

Operating Authority

All Motor Carriers require Operating Authority. You obtain it from different agencies depending on the type of business.


In Nevada, fully regulated carriers apply with the Nevada Transportation Authority. “Fully regulated carrier” means a common carrier or contract carrier of passengers or household goods who is required to obtain a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity, or a contract carrier’s permit, and whose rates, routes and services are subject to regulation. Examples include limousine companies, charter buses and vehicle towing services.

Common and contract carriers of property other than fully regulated carriers are granted Intrastate Commerce Authority by the DMV Motor Carrier Division as part of the DMV licensing process below.


Carriers operating in interstate commerce obtain authority and an MC number through the FMCSA Unified Registration System as outlined above.

Registration and Fuel Tax Licensing

Contact Us!

Call (775) 684-4711 option 1, send an email or use the Motor Carrier Comment form.



Motor carriers operating across state lines have "apportioned" registration through the International Registration Plan (IRP) and pay fuel taxes through the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA).

Complete the appropriate application packet and any additional forms. Vehicles coming from out of state must have a VIN inspection using the Vehicle Inspection Certificate (VP 015).

Carriers moving their business to Nevada must use existing mileage.

Learn more about IRP & IFTA

IRP and IFTA are agreements under which motor carriers pay pro-rated vehicle registration fees and fuel taxes to each State or Canadian Province where they operate. Carriers file yearly tax returns for IRP and quarterly returns for IFTA with the jurisdiction where they are based.

What is IRP?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement between 48 States and 10 Canadian Provinces that provide one registration to use for travel anywhere within these jurisdictions. See the IRP website.

What is IFTA?

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement between 48 States and 10 Canadian provinces to report fuel use by Motor Carriers that are licensed in one state and operate in multiple states. See the IFTA website.

Do I need both IFTA and IRP?

To qualify for an IRP plate (apportion), the power unit must be used or intended for use in two or more jurisdictions. The minimum declared weight for qualification is 10,001 lbs. (GVW).

To qualify for an IFTA license, the vehicle must travel to two or more jurisdictions and have a gross or combined vehicle weight of 26,001 lbs. or more. Any vehicle with three or more axles qualifies regardless of weight.

Permanent Trailer Plates

Nevada offers a permanent plate and registration for full and semi-trailers that are part of a fleet and registered through the Motor Carrier Division. The total fees for a permanent plate and registration are $115. The permanent registration is valid for as long as the company or person owns the trailer.

Qualifications to obtain a permanent trailer registration:

Permanent Trailer License Plate
  • Permanent trailer plates will only be issued through the Motor Carrier Division.
  • The trailer must be either a full or semitrailer.
  • The trailer must be used for commercial purposes.
  • The registered owner of the trailer must have a Federal Employee Identification Number.
  • The trailer must be titled and registered in the business name.
  • Full trailers must be pulled by a drawbar rather than a fifth wheel coupling or ball and hitch.

Existing plates can be switched. Contact us for details.

Individual Forms

Application Packets

Use the appropriate packet to get Motor Carrier credentials for your new business.

New carriers must register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. See FMCSA Registration.


Individual Forms