CDL Self Certification

Certify Your Driving

Bus DriverEvery commercial driver must self-certify to the type of commerce he or she intends to drive.

Certain drivers ("excepted" drivers) are no longer required to submit a Medical Examination Certificate to the DMV. Employers, however, may still require an examination.

Most CDL holders who drive CMVs in interstate commerce are "non-excepted interstate" drivers and will be required to submit a Medical Examination Card. The information from the card becomes part of your DMV driving record.

If a physical is required, you must obtain it from a physician listed in the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.

Which Driver Am I? Top ↑

Drivers certify their driving in person at a DMV office when applying for a CDL or filing a new medical certificate. Please review the choices below before you apply.

Drivers must choose whether they operate intrastate or interstate and whether the loads they haul will make them "excepted" or "non-excepted."

Interstate or Intrastate (Choose One)

INTERSTATE – operating inside or outside the State of Nevada

INTRASTATE – operating within the borders of Nevada
Non-Excepted or Excepted (Choose One)
NON-EXCEPTED – Medical Examination Required
Permits the operation of a commercial motor vehicle by a driver who is subject to and meets the requirements of 49 C.F.R part 391 with respect to qualifications of drivers to include physical qualifications and examinations.

EXCEPTED – Medical Examination Not Required
If you intend on operating a CMV only for any of the purposes below, you are not required to obtain a medical examination:

  • To transport school children and/or school staff between home and school only. Transporting children for extracurricular activities will require a medical examination.
  • As Federal, State or local government employees;
  • Fire truck or rescue vehicle drivers during emergencies and other related activities;
  • Primarily in the transportation of propane winter heating fuel when responding to an emergency condition requiring immediate response such as damage to a propane gas system after a storm or flooding;
  • In response to a pipeline emergency condition requiring immediate response such as a pipeline leak or rupture;
  • In custom harvesting on a farm or to transport farm machinery and supplies used in the custom harvesting operation to and from a farm or to transport custom harvested crops to storage or market;
  • Beekeeper in the seasonal transportation of bees;
  • Controlled and operated by a farmer, but is not a combination vehicle (power unit and towed unit), and is used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery or farm supplies (no placardable hazardous materials) to and from a farm and within 150 air-miles of the farm;
  • As a private motor carrier of passengers for non-business purposes;
  • To transport migrant workers; or
  • To transport human corpses or sick or injured persons;

About Medical Cards Top ↑

Updating your MEC