Contacts Top ↑
The Motor Carrier Team keeps you truckin'!! We want your feedback! Contact Motor Carrier and tell us how to improve our services.
Motor Carrier or Fuel comments only. For other DMV issues or comments, please contact the DMV.
Announcements Top ↑
New Online Services
USDOT Number Changes
Pursuant to NRS 482.2912, all motor carriers must notify the department within 10 days when the USDOT number for the Motor Carrier Responsible for Safety (MCRS) has changed. Complete the form below and send via email to email@example.com or mail to the address on the form. If you are reporting IFTA under this USDOT, please include a copy of your lease or business agreement.
USDOT Numbers required on all Intrastate Commercial Vehicles rated over 26,000 pounds
Complete the FMCSA Application Process:
- Don't have a USDOT Number or Authority? Apply Online via the Unified Registration System
- Already have a USDOT Number or Authority? Apply via FMCSA's legacy systems
- Insurance Requirements
Permanent Trailer Plates
Nevada offers permanent plate and registration for full and semi-trailers that are part of a fleet and registered through the Motor Carrier Division. The total fees for a permanent plate and registration are $115. The permanent registration is valid for as long as the company or person owns the trailer.
Qualifications to obtain a permanent trailer registration:
- Permanent trailer plates will only be issued through the Motor Carrier Division.
- The trailer must be either a full or semitrailer.
- The trailer must be used for commercial purposes.
- The registered owner of the trailer must have a Federal Employee Identification Number.
- The trailer must be titled and registered in the business name.
- Full trailers must be pulled by a drawbar rather than a fifth wheel coupling or ball and hitch.
Existing plates can be switched. Contact us for details.
Farmers and Ranchers
The Department now issues “FARM” plates to certain farm equipment and implements of husbandry. Please see the application and instructions below in order for the Department to process your request.
- Application For Farm Tractor/Self Propelled Implement Of Husbandry License Plate And Decal and Schedule B (MC 101 & MC 003)
Temporary Trip Permit Requirements
Out of state commercial vehicles with a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 10,001 pounds or more are required to get a temporary registration permit. Carriers are required to get permits before entering Nevada.
Out of state commercial vehicles 10,000 pounds and under used in business in Nevada are required to obtain a Non-Resident Business Permit within 10 days of commencing operations. See Movement Permits.
Oversize and Overweight Permits
The Nevada Department of Transportation is your best source for current information and the latest route restrictions on over-sized and overweight vehicle permits. See NDOT Commercial Vehicle Permits.
Potential Fuel Tax Evasion Report
Do your part to make sure everyone pays their fair share! Report potential fuel tax evasion online. Or, call the Motor Carrier Audit Team at (775) 684-4634.
If you operate any truck or bus in interstate commerce, you must register with the federal Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program. Nevada is a non-participating state and does not offer this service. However, Nevada-based carriers must comply with UCR. You must register with a participating state. Online registration is available at ucr.gov or see UCR Contacts.
Quick Info and Contacts Top ↑
- Nevada has no ports of entry. See temporary trip and fuel Permits for permit information.
- Maximum cab card weight is 129,000 pounds. Carriers operating in excess of 80,000 pounds must register apportioned in their base state.
- IRP & IFTA forms are available in the Motor Carrier Forms Room.
Motor Carrier Laws Top ↑
|Chapter Number and Title||Statutes||Code|
|360a||Administration of Certain Taxes and Fees on Fuels||NRS||--|
|365||Taxes on Certain Fuels for Motor Vehicles and Aircraft||NRS||NAC|
|366||Tax on Special Fuels||NRS||NAC|
|371||Governmental Services Tax on Vehicle Registrations||NRS||--|
|373||County Taxes on Fuels||NRS||--|
|482||Non-Apportioned Vehicle Registration||NRS||NAC|
|484||Traffic Laws (replaced by Chapters 484A - 484E below)||NRS||NAC|
|484A||Traffic Laws Generally||NRS||--|
|484B||Rules of the Road||NRS||--|
|484C||Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or a Prohibited Substance||NRS||--|
|484D||Equipment, Inspections and Size, Weight and Load of Vehicles||NRS||--|
|484E||Accidents and Reports of Accidents||NRS||--|
|485||Insurance and Financial Responsibility||NRS||NAC|
|590||Petroleum Products and Antifreeze||NRS||NAC|
|706||Motor Carrier/Apportioned Registration||NRS||NAC|
|Title 49||Federal Laws and Regulations - Transportation||USC||CFR|