Motor Carrier Division

Contacts Top ↑

The Motor Carrier Team keeps you truckin'!! We want your feedback! Contact Motor Carrier and tell us how to improve our services.

Motor Carrier or Fuel comments only. For other DMV issues or comments, please contact the DMV.

Announcements Top ↑

New Online Services

File and pay your Nevada IFTA tax return online! If you do not have an online IFTA account, contact and we’ll sign you up.

We are also allowing limited access to our new Online IRP Registration System. Contact MCTLC@DMV.NV.GOV to see if you qualify. We will offer full access in the near future.

USDOT Number Changes

Pursuant to NRS 482.2912, all motor carriers must notify the department within 10 days when the USDOT number for the Motor Carrier Responsible for Safety (MCRS) has changed.  Complete the form below and send via email to or mail to the address on the form. If you are reporting IFTA under this USDOT, please include a copy of your lease or business agreement. 

Motor Carrier Responsible for Safety Update Request

USDOT Numbers required on all Intrastate Commercial Vehicles rated over 26,000 pounds

Complete the FMCSA Application Process:

Permanent Trailer Plates

Nevada offers permanent plate and registration for full and semi-trailers that are part of a fleet and registered through the Motor Carrier Division.  The total fees for a permanent plate and registration are $115.  The permanent registration is valid for as long as the company or person owns the trailer.

Qualifications to obtain a permanent trailer registration:

Permanent Trailer Plate

Existing plates can be switched. Contact us for details.

Farmers and Ranchers

Click for PDF Help

The Department now issues “FARM” plates to certain farm equipment and implements of husbandry. Please see the application and instructions below in order for the Department to process your request.

Temporary Trip Permit Requirements

Out of state commercial vehicles with a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 10,001 pounds or more are required to get a temporary registration permit. Carriers are required to get permits before entering Nevada.

Out of state commercial vehicles 10,000 pounds and under used in business in Nevada are required to obtain a Non-Resident Business Permit within 10 days of commencing operations. See Movement Permits.

Oversize and Overweight Permits

The Nevada Department of Transportation is your best source for current information and the latest route restrictions on over-sized and overweight vehicle permits. See NDOT Commercial Vehicle Permits.

Potential Fuel Tax Evasion Report

Do your part to make sure everyone pays their fair share! Report potential fuel tax evasion online. Or, call the Motor Carrier Audit Team at (775) 684-4634.

UCR Registration

If you operate any truck or bus in interstate commerce, you must register with the federal Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program. Nevada is a non-participating state and does not offer this service. However, Nevada-based carriers must comply with UCR. You must register with a participating state. Online registration is available at or see UCR Contacts.


Silver Flume LogoSilverFlume - - is a valuable tool to start and expand businesses, guiding you through State Business Licensing, Workers’ Compensation, Taxation and much more.

The New Business Checklist can provide you a quick summary of which licenses you’ll need, estimated cost, and time to obtain licensing.

Quick Info and Contacts Top ↑

Motor Carrier Laws Top ↑

Chapter Number and Title Statutes Code
360a Administration of Certain Taxes and Fees on Fuels NRS --
365 Taxes on Certain Fuels for Motor Vehicles and Aircraft NRS NAC
366 Tax on Special Fuels NRS NAC
371 Governmental Services Tax on Vehicle Registrations NRS --
373 County Taxes on Fuels NRS --
459 Hazardous Materials NRS NAC
482 Non-Apportioned Vehicle Registration NRS NAC
483 Driver License NRS NAC
484 Traffic Laws (replaced by Chapters 484A - 484E below) NRS NAC
484A Traffic Laws Generally NRS --
484B Rules of the Road NRS --
484C Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or a Prohibited Substance NRS --
484D Equipment, Inspections and Size, Weight and Load of Vehicles NRS --
484E Accidents and Reports of Accidents NRS --
485 Insurance and Financial Responsibility NRS NAC
590 Petroleum Products and Antifreeze NRS NAC
706 Motor Carrier/Apportioned Registration NRS NAC
Title 49 Federal Laws and Regulations - Transportation USC CFR