Available Specialty Plates Top ↑
You can now choose from more than 30 specialty plates designs when using the online registration.
See Charitable Plates for information on each plate. All of the unrestricted charitable plates are available.
Plates which have special qualifications, such as veterans or organization plates, are not availalble online. You must visit a DMV office. You can register your vehicle online and swap plates later if needed.
How It Works Top ↑
Dealers submit their sales information to the DMV online and issue what is called an Electronic Dealer Report of Sale (EDRS). Use the control number and last 4 digits of the Vehicle Identification Number to register online or create a MyDMV account.
Getting It Done
- Have your EDRS and Nevada Evidence of Insurance ready and go to Online Registration. You may also create and use a MyDMV account.
- You may pay registration fees by e-check or credit card. You may apply a veteran, surviving spouse or blind tax exemption.
- You may transfer plates up to 18 months after they have expired.
- If you are transferring plates, any credit on your existing registration will be applied to the new registration. A $6 transfer fee applies.
- If you obtain new plates, you will not be able to apply the credit from your old registration unless you first cancel the registration. Cancellation is available online in MyDMV.
- If you canceled your previous registration, you may not transfer those plates online. You can complete the registration online by getting new plates. If you wish to transfer the previous plates, you must visit a DMV office.
- Your vehicle will be registered immediately upon successful completion. If transferring plates, the registration on your old vehicle is canceled.
- A temporary permit prints with your receipt. Tape this in the lower right-hand corner of the windshield and keep the receipt in the vehicle.
- Your Registration Certificate and Validation Decal will arrive at the address listed on the EDRS in four to seven days.
- If you are receiving new plates, they be mailed separately to the address listed on the EDRS.
Some additional restrictions apply. Motor homes and trailers cannot be registered online. Vehicles 26,001 pounds and over are registered through the Motor Carrier Division. Certain license plate styles such as Professional Firefighter and antique/classic vehicles cannot be transferred. See the complete list below.
Important: If you choose to transfer your current license plates, your new registration will be credited for the unused portion of your old registration. A $6 transfer fee applies.
However, if you choose to get new standard license plates, the unused portion of your old registration will not be credited unless you first cancel your current registration. You may cancel your current registration online through MyDMV prior to registering the new vehicle.
Credits from other registrations or other sources may not be applied during an online registration.
Residents of participating counties will have the option to make a $2 donation to the Complete Streets Program in their county. This program promotes the retrofitting of roads to benefit pedestrians, bicyclists, disabled persons, and motorists. The donation is voluntary, non-refundable, and is in addition to any other applicable registration fees.
You must obtain liability insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier in the exact name(s) which will be on the registration and title. The effective date of the policy must be equal or previous to the registration date. Coverage is verified electronically with your insurance company.
Motorists who do not maintain Nevada liability insurance are subject to a registration suspension, reinstatement fee/fine, possible SR22 requirement and driver’s license suspension.
You must register in person at a DMV if any of the following apply.
- You are an individual and the EDRS form does not include your Nevada Driver’s License Number (DLN), or the number is incorrect.
- You are a business and the EDRS form does not include your FEIN, or the number is incorrect.
- Your name is misspelled.
- You need to change your address.
- You want to use a tribal or farmer/rancher tax exemption.
- You want to register the vehicle in the name of a trust.
- You want new personalized license plates.
- You wish to transfer certain license plate styles such as antique or classic vehicles. See the list below.
- You wish to use credits other than a credit on the license plates being transferred.
- Your vehicle is a moped, motor home or trailer.
- Your physical address on your Nevada driver's license is in Clark or Washoe County and you want to base your vehicle in a different county.
- You have a Revenue Recovery case, Insurance Verification sanction, or parking tickets.
- The gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle is 26,001 pounds or more.
Non-Transferable Plate Styles
- Antique Truck/Tractor
- Amateur Radio
- Classic Rod
- Classic Vehicle
- Consular Corps
- Exempt Vehicle
- Exempt Motorcycle
- Fire Truck
- Horseless Carriage
- Manufactured Housing
- Motor Carrier
- Old Timer
- Old Timer Motorcycle
- Professional Firefighter
- Street Rod
- Motorcycle license plates can only be transferred to another motorcycle. These plates cannot be transferred to another vehicle type using the online registration feature.