Previously-Issued Standard Plate Numbers

1982 Nevada license plate

See Personalized Plates to order a personalized number even if it has been issued previously.

See Circa 1982 Replica Plates for blue plates and "county designator" plate numbers.

See Classic Vehicle Plates for plates for use on vehicles 1942 and older.

See Damaged, Lost or Stolen Plates if you are replacing your own existing plates that are currently in use or expired less than 18 months.

What Numbers Can I Get? Top ↑

You may obtain any standard plate number ("123ABC") or special counter plate number ("Lake Tahoe 12345") provided:

The plate style will match the number you request. "123ABC" can be ordered in the Home Means Nevada or Circa 1982 styles only, "LT12345" will be the Lake Tahoe background and so forth.

If you wish to use an existing set of license plates that currently belong to someone else or have been expired for less than 18 months, the plate owner must complete a License Plate Release (SP 67). The current registration for the plate number will be canceled. Registration fee credits may not be transferred to the new owner.


Click for PDF Help

Order In-Person

Please bring the current plates for your vehicle into the DMV office with you. We will issue a temporary movement permit for your vehicle and mail the new plates to you once they are manufactured.

Order by Mail/Fax

If you wish to order by mail or fax, please include a check, money order or Payment Authorization and your daytime telephone number.

Mail the order to the address on the form or fax it to (775) 684-4797.

If your order is accepted, the plates will be sent to the DMV office you designate on the form and you will be notified by mail when they are ready to be picked up. There will be additional fees charged to register the plates to your vehicle.

Vehicle Registration

If you choose to keep the same expiration date, no emission inspection or registration renewal is required. A $5 substitute plate fee will apply.

You have the option of renewing your vehicle registration for a full year. Complete an emission inspection if required and if the last test was completed more than 90 days ago. Your expiration date will change if the current expiration date is more than 35 days away. Credit will be given for the unused portion of your current Nevada registration.