Driver License Renewal Options

Online Renewal

Most Nevada drivers are eligible for online renewal. Your new license will be mailed with your existing photo.


  • Age 16-70
  • 4 or 8 year, non-commercial driver's license
  • Renew up to 60 days prior to expiration or 364 days after
  • Use the Address Change transaction if you need to update your address. Your license will automatically renew if it is due within the next 60 days.
Begin Here

Go to MyDMV

Important - Cancel Your Appointment

After you've renewed, come back and cancel your office appointment if you have one.

Find and Cancel Your Appointment

Who is not eligible?

Sorry but Instruction Permits, Driver Authorization Cards, CDLs, Limited-Term licenses and any license with a term of less than four years do not qualify for online renewal. Drivers with three or more moving violations since their last renewal are not eligible. See Internet Renewals below for the full list.

Most drivers age 71 or older should renew in person at a DMV office. If you are eligible to renew by mail, you will receive a mailed renewal notice with instructions. A physician's statement and eye exam are required to renew by mail. They are not required for an in-person renewal.

Technology Fee

The DMV is no longer collecting the $1 Technology Fee.

If your mailed notice or other document indicates a Technology Fee is due, please deduct $1 from the total amount. The fees listed on the DMV website are correct.


Make an appointment at our offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno if you are not eligible to renew online. If your license is expired, print the email confirmation and carry that with you.

The offices in Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno open at 8 a.m. Saturdays and offer a limited number of tickets for walk-in customers.

Review the Real ID information below if you have not already upgraded to a Real ID. If your existing license has a gold star in the upper right corner, you already have a Real ID and will maintain it through your renewal.

It is your responsibility to renew your license on time whether or not you receive a renewal notice. Please keep your address current with us. See Address Changes. A postal forwarding order is not sufficient.

See also Driver License Fees.


InternetMyDMV logo

Most drivers age 16-70 who have a four or eight year (full term) license are eligible. You are eligible even if you have received a postcard stating that you must renew in person.

Online renewals are available through a MyDMV account. You can sign up for an account in advance.

Specifically, non-commercial, full-term licenses held by drivers ages 16 - 70 are eligible for online renewal. 

Go to MyDMV to begin.

Instruction permits, drivers ages 71 and older, Commercial Drivers Licenses, Driver Authorization Cards, and Limited-Term licenses held by non-citizens, sex offenders and those with certain medical conditions do not qualify.

You must renew in person if you have had three or more moving violations in the past four years or if testing is required for any other reason.


Make an appointment at the DMV offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas or Reno.

A knowledge test is required if you have had more than three moving violations or any license suspension, revocation, cancellation or denial within the last 4 years. You may also be required to pass a driving skills test.

Be sure to bring any additional documentation required for a Real ID or other reasons such as immigration status, medical letter, etc.

Naturalized Citizens and Permanent Residents

Please bring your Certificate or Permanent Resident Card to help avoid a return trip to the DMV.

Limited-Term Residents

You must present a U.S. immigration document at each renewal or any change to personal information such as name and date of birth.

Residents Out-of-State

If you are outside of Nevada and cannot reach a Nevada DMV office, you may download and complete an Application for Driving Privilege or ID Card By Mail.

This will be returned if you do not qualify for a mail renewal or if there is any unusual problem with your license.

See Driver License Fees for fee information.

Veteran Designation Top ↑

Veterans with an honorable discharge may have a designation placed on their license next to the license number. See the pictures below. Bring your evidence of honorable discharge to your next renewal. Visit to obtain a copy of your DD-214 or other evidence of honorable discharge.

Real ID or Standard License Top ↑

If you already have a Real ID, no additional documentation is required to maintain it during a renewal if you were born in the U.S.

If not, you must visit a DMV office one time to upgrade. See the documents list below or visit

A Real ID will be required for those who wish to use a driver's license or state ID to board aircraft beginning May 3, 2023. See DHS Real ID Information for details and other instances where a Real ID is required.

Real ID License

Real ID Driver License

A Real ID compliant license is marked with gold Nevada outline containing a star.

To obtain a Real ID license, you must show proof of identity and residential address one time at the DMV.

Standard License

Standard Nevada License

A standard Nevada license is marked "NOT FOR REAL ID PURPOSES" and, in the future, will not be valid for boarding aircraft or other uses outlined in DHS Real ID Information.

You may use the internet or mail options if you are eligible to do so.

These are new designs rolled out in 2021. See Driver License Designs for more information.

License Terms

8-Year and 4-Year Licenses

Most motorists under 65 years of age will receive a license that is valid for eight years.

Licenses for those 65 and older and Driver Authorization Cards are valid for four years.

Shorter-term Licenses

Motorists with instruction permits, certain medical conditions and registered sex offenders have annual renewals. Motorcycle instruction permits for those 18 and older are valid for six months.

If U.S. immigration documents are used as proof of identity, the expiration of your license will coincide with the departure date on your immigration documents. These licenses will be marked "LIMITED TERM".

If the departure date is eight years or more in the future, your license will be valid for eight years. Those 65 and older will be issued a four-year license if their departure date is four years or more in the future.

If the immigration document indicates “D/S” (Duration of Status) instead of an actual expiration date, the license will expire 1 year from the date of issuance. The fee charged will be that of a 4-year card.

Early Renewal Top ↑

You may renew your license in person at a DMV office even if it is not due.

This is highly recommended for those who are planning an extended trip outside of Nevada. Active-duty military members are encouraged to renew in person when visiting Nevada.

If your expiration date is less than 6 months away, the new year of expiration will be set four or eight years ahead. If the expiration date is 6 months to one year from the date of renewal, the year of expiration will be set seven years ahead.

The same 6-month rule applies if you are renewing more than a year ahead of expiration. For example, if the expiration is one year and five months from the date of renewal, the new year of expiration will be set three years or seven years ahead. If the expiration is one year and seven months away, the new year of expiration will be six years ahead.

Late Renewal Top ↑

A $10 late fee may apply if your license has been expired 30 days or more.

If your license has been expired one year or more, you must take the written test. If your license has been expired for four years or more, you will also have to take the skills test.

Military/Federal - Nevada residents who are currently members of the Armed forces, their spouses, dependents or certain federal employees may be eligible to renew by mail up to 2 years after expiration.  Please contact us for eligibility requirements. 

If you did not receive a renewal notice, please call or email and include your current address for instructions.

Homeless Youth Fee Exemption Top ↑

The Department is authorized to waive the fee for homeless persons under 25 years of age to obtain an original, renewal or duplicate driver license or ID card.  This is a one-time exemption. You must apply in person at DMV office and complete the declaration form.

Declaration of Homeless Status (DMV 128)