Commercial Driver Licensing

Truckers Against Trafficking Logo

Truckers Against Trafficking

Make the call. Save Lives. 1-888-373-7888

You have the opportunity to be an everyday hero on the front lines. Truckers are the eyes and ears of our nation's highways. Join the fight against human trafficking. has a short training video and certification for drivers. Resources for companies and law enforcement too.

General Information Top ↑

Truck and Driver

You must visit a CDL office for all commercial license transactions except
for filing an updated Medical Examination Certificate.

See FMCSA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information & Resources.

A Commercial Driver License (CDL) is required to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

A commercial motor vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:

Age Requirements

How to Apply

Entry-Level Training Requirements  New!

Beginning February 7, 2022, entry-level drivers will be subject to new requirements in the federal Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations. This includes drivers applying to:

Entry-level drivers must complete the training from a provider listed on the Training Provider Registry. Drivers will search for a training provider using the upcoming Training Provider Registry. For more information, visit

The ELDT regulations establish a Federal standard for training CDL applicants. Applicants must successfully complete this training before they will be permitted to take the CDL skills test or, in the case of the H endorsement, the knowledge test.

Residency & Proof of Identity Top ↑

You must present Proof of Identity, Social Security Number and Proof of Nevada Residency if you have never had commercial driving privileges in Nevada or if you are upgrading your existing CDL to a Real ID.

You must present all of the following:

  • one document for proof of identity AND
  • if you have changed your name, proof of all name change(s) AND
  • one document for proof of Social Security number AND
  • two documents to prove your Nevada residential address AND
  • a completed Application for Commercial Driving Privileges (CDL 002):
    English  |  Spanish  |  Tagalog

Documents must be valid originals or certified copies that were issued in the United States (except foreign passports). The DMV does not accept photocopies. Documents presented will be scanned and stored.

Proof of Identity

All Applicants

  • Valid Real ID driver’s license, instruction permit, or identification card from another state
    A license or ID that does not meet Real ID requirements is not accepted. A Real ID card marked “Limited Term” is not accepted; immigration documents must be shown.

Applicants Born in the U.S.

  • U.S. state-issued birth certificate (original or certified copy)
  • Valid, unexpired United States Passport or United States Passport Card

Applicants Born Outside the U.S.

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560)
  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551). If the card is expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension. The old pink version of the I-551, called the "Resident Alien Card," that contains no expiration date is also acceptable.
  • Valid, unexpired foreign passport or I-94 stamped “Processed for I-551.”
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with an unexpired U.S. Visa and an I-94 form. If the I-94 is expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension.

See Additional Information below if you cannot meet these requirements.

Veterans - Honorably-discharged U.S. military veterans may have a Veteran designation placed on their license or ID. Present your DD-214 or other evidence of honorable discharge.
Proof of Name Change(s)

If your document from the list above contains your current full legal name, you do not need to provide proof of any name change. Skip this section.

If not, you must present documentation of any name change(s) with one of the following:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Adoption records
  • Court order

In a case of multiple name changes, you will be asked for marriage certificates or other proof of each change. Divorce decrees must reference the maiden name or former name before marriage.

Upon the death of your spouse, you may change your middle and last names back to the names used prior to your marriage. You must present both the death and marriage certificates and the deceased person's name must match on both.

An updated Social Security card is not sufficient proof of a name change.

Social Security Number

You must provide proof of your Social Security number if one has been issued to you. Documents must list the complete Social Security number.

  • Social Security Card
  • W-2
  • IRS Form 1099
  • Printed pay stub

New!  You may be able to order a replacement card online through a my Social Security account. If not, see Documents You Need for a Social Security card on the SSA website.

Additional Information

To apply for U.S. issued proof of identity documents such as birth or marriage certificates, contact the state or county Vital Statistics Office the document was issued. A list is available from the National Center for Health Statistics. You may also use or a similar commercial service.

The DMV does not accept:

  • Hospital-issued birth certificates
  • U.S. driver's licenses or ID cards that do not meet Real ID standards (not accepted as a proof of identity document)
  • Military ID
  • Foreign driver's licenses or ID cards
  • Foreign birth certificates
  • Border crossing cards
  • Consular identification cards

Proof of Nevada Residency Top ↑

You must present two of the following documents for any original Nevada Commercial Learner's Permit or Commercial Driver's License.


Commercial Learner Permits Top ↑

Nevada issues Commercial Learner Permits (CLP) that are valid for 180 days. Nevada does not issue "Non-Domiciled" CLPs to residents of other U.S. jurisdictions.

You must obtain a CLP if:

Here are the requirements for a commercial learner's permit:

  • You must hold a valid Nevada non-commercial or commercial driver's license.
  • You must present proof of identity and lawful status in the U.S. See Proof of Identity above.
  • You must certify the type of driving you will do. See Self-Certification.
  • If you certify you are a non-excepted driver, you must present a valid Medical Examination Card.
  • You must pass all of the required knowledge tests for your license class and endorsements.
  • Interpreters are not allowed for testing.
  • You must complete an Application for Commercial Driving Privileges (CDL 002):
    English  |  Spanish  |  Tagalog
  • Fees are $58.25.

A CLP may have only the following endorsements. No others may be listed.

  • Passenger (P). The P restriction must be added.
  • School Bus (S). The P restriction must be added.
  • Tanker (N). The X restriction must be added.

All other endorsements are added to the CDL once you pass the appropriate knowledge test.

For more information on school buses, see Section 10 of the CDL Handbook.

If you wish to change vehicle class, endorsements or restrictions that require a skills test, you must obtain a new CLP and all CLP rules start over.

CLP Expiration and Renewal

A Commercial Learner's Permit is valid for 180 days from the date of issuance. Permits can be renewed, but you may have to retake tests.

Plan ahead and avoid these pitfalls:

  • If you renew your CLP, you will need to retake all CDL skills tests even if you have passed one or more portions. Skills tests may not be banked.
  • If your CLP is expired for more than 30 days, you must retake all knowledge tests.
  • If you renew your CLP a second time, you must retake all knowledge tests.

Driving with a CLP

You may drive only under the direct supervision of a CDL holder who:

  • Is at least 25 years of age
  • Has been issued a CDL for the proper class and endorsements necessary for the type of vehicle being operated
  • Has had at least 1 year of licensed commercial driving experience in the class and endorsement necessary for the type of vehicle for which the CLP was issued
  • Must at all times be physically present in the front seat of the vehicle next to the CLP holder, or in the case of a passenger vehicle, directly behind or in the first row behind the driver

A CLP holder with a (N) tanker endorsement may only operate an empty tank vehicle and is prohibited from operating any tank vehicle that previously contained hazardous materials that has not been purged of any residue.

See Commercial Driving Schools for a list of licensed private schools.

Skills Testing

You must hold a CLP for at least 14 days prior to any skills test. If your testing will be done by a Third Party Certifier, it must be scheduled at least four days in advance. Interpreters are not allowed during skills testing.

  • DMV skills tests are administered only by appointment at CDL Offices.
  • A number of larger companies and organizations employ Third-Party Certifiers to test their employees.
  • Some commercial driving schools employ Third Party Certifiers.

The fee to complete a CLP and issue a CDL is $58.25.

CLP Out-of-State Issues and Answers

  • Nevada CLP holders may complete their skills tests in another state.
  • Out-of-state CLP holders may not be skills tested in Nevada.
  • Nevada does not issue "Non-Domiciled" CLPs.

Medical Exam Cards Top ↑

Updating your MEC

You may submit your new MEC by any of the following methods if there are no other changes:

When submitting your new medical card, you are not required to re-certify unless there is a change to your certification.

Certification changes or any other change to your CDL must be completed in person at a CDL office.

Handbooks & Forms Top ↑

PDF Help

Third Party Companies & Schools

Third Party Certifiers

CDL Offices Top ↑

North Las Vegas DMV
North Las Vegas CDL Office

For general questions on commercial licensing, send an email or call one of our main numbers:

Las Vegas area (702) 486-4368 option 1
Reno/Sparks/Carson City (775) 684-4368 option 1

Do not visit a DMV full service office for CDL transactions.

Services are offered on a walk-in basis. The DMV observes social distancing limits set by each county in Nevada and the latest mask guidance from the CDC. Please stay home if you are not well.

Skills Tests

Use the office phone numbers below only to schedule your test. You must pass any required knowledge test before scheduling a skills test. See Fees for fee information.

All vehicles must be empty. Placarded tankers must provide a purge certificate. No loaded vehicles will be allowed.

Carson City
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711-0400
8a-5p M-F | Get Map
(775) 684-4861


3920 E. Idaho Street
Elko, NV 89801-4970
8a-5p M-F | Get Map
(775) 753-1126


North Las Vegas
4110 Donovan Way
North Las Vegas, NV 89030
8a-5p M-F | Get Map
(702) 486-5655 option 4


890 Trademark Dr.
Reno, NV 89521
8a-5p M-F | Get Map
(775) 684-3506

The Sparks CDL office on Greg St. is permanently closed.

3505 Construction Way
Winnemucca, NV 89445-3155
8a-5p M-F | Get Map
(775) 623-6515



DUI Revocation/Suspension Rules Top ↑

According to federal regulation 49 CFR 383.51, upon receipt of a DUI conviction, a Commercial Driver License will be suspended for one full year (three full years if carrying hazardous materials) for a first offense and for life upon a second or subsequent offense.

A commercial license has two parts: a commercial side (CDL) and a non-commercial side (NCDL). When a driver’s NCDL is revoked or suspended, the CDL is also affected. If the driver is convicted of a first DUI offense by the court, the NCDL will be revoked for 185 days and the CDL privilege will be suspended for at least one year.

Between the time when a person is arrested for a possible DUI and when he is convicted of DUI by a court of law, there may be a period of time when his license will be revoked. When the court convicts him of the DUI, the commercial side of his license must be suspended for at least one full year. The non-commercial side of his license must also be revoked. However, the number of days he already went without a license can be applied to the end of his non-commercial license penalty period. This would allow him to shorten his 90-day NCDL penalty period by the number of days he is credited. His CDL will still remain suspended for at least one full year.

For example, if a conviction is received for a CDL holder or any individual who was driving a commercial motor vehicle, his CDL will be suspended and his NCDL will be revoked. If the individual went without his license for, say, five weeks, that five weeks may be credited to his NCDL penalty period. He may apply for reinstatement of his NCDL five weeks sooner than the end of his 90-day penalty period. however, No credit will be applied to the 1-year CDL suspension.

Legal References