Vehicles in Business

General Guidelines Top ↑

Several separate Nevada Departments and Divisions are responsible for vehicle-related regulation. Please review this section and the Nevada Regulatory Agencies table, then contact each agency which might affect your business.

Out-of-state business vehicles

You must obtain a DMV permit to operate an out-of-state business vehicle in Nevada. See Movement Permits.


Businesses which operate in-state, operate vehicles under 10,001 pounds and transport only their own employees or property typically do not fall under any special vehicle-related regulation. An exception is Employer Van Pools, which are regulated by the Nevada Transportation Authority.

Pizza Delivery

Persons using their own private passenger vehicles for delivery purposes (newspapers, food, runners, etc.) do not fall under additional regulation as long as they are under contract with only one business or a limited number of businesses. Nevada has higher liability insurance requirements for this type of service but the business typically carries the extra coverage. Contact your insurance agent or DMV Motor Carrier.

Delivery Truck

Persons or businesses offering pick-up and delivery services to the general public fall under state and federal Motor Carrier regulations. Higher liability insurance coverage is required. Household Goods movers must contact the Nevada Transportation Authority. All other goods carriers must contact DMV Motor Carrier.

Mini Bus

Any person or business offering to transport people should contact both the Nevada Transportation Authority and DMV Motor Carrier. Businesses which transport people or property as an ancillary function of their main business may or may not be exempt from vehicle-related regulation.

Semi Truck

Interstate Motor Carriers, Intrastate Goods Carriers and any business which transports placarded hazardous materials should contact both DMV Motor Carrier and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The Nevada Highway Patrol issues hazardous materials permits.

Auto Dealer

Any business which rents or loans vehicles to the public for any reason must contact DMV Occupational and Business Licensing. Vehicle dealers, garages, driving schools and nearly all vehicle-related businesses are licensed by DMV.

Towing services are regulated by the Nevada Transportation Authority.

Fuel Hose All fuel suppliers, dealers, transporters and exporters should contact DMV Motor Carrier. This includes propane, CNG, aviation fuel, etc.

Commercial Driver License Top ↑

CDL Skills Test

You must have a Commercial Driver License to drive any of the following vehicles:

A CDL may be desirable if you operate interstate or have vehicles with a weight rating greater than 10,001 pounds. See Commercial Driver Licensing and FMCSA CDL Overview.

Nevada does not issue any type of Chauffeurs License; however, the Nevada Taxicab Authority issues permits to drive taxis in Clark County.

Vehicle Registration Top ↑

Apportioned License Plate

Be sure to obtain the proper liability insurance for your vehicle and business use. Proof of Insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier is required for all registrations.

Vehicles 26,000 pounds or less, which do not operate in interstate commerce, are registered at DMV Full Service offices. See Vehicle Registration. If you have 10 or more business vehicles, larger DMV offices have Fleets counters to make registration easier and you may qualify as a self-insurer. See Fleet Registration.

Vehicles 26,001 pounds or more and all vehicles which are used in interstate commerce are registered with DMV Motor Carrier.

Manufactured Homes are titled by the Manufactured Housing Division and taxed by County Assessors. Boats are registered with the Nevada Division of Wildlife. Nearly all trailers must be registered and titled through the DMV.

Nevada Regulatory Agencies Top ↑

Nearly any Nevada business which transports people or property for hire or is part of the motor vehicle industry is subject to regulation.

This table lists various vehicle-related regulatory agencies and the specific industries they regulate. Be sure to contact each agency which may affect your business.

Nevada Seal

Nevada Transportation Authority
2290 S. Jones Blvd, Suite 110
Las Vegas, Nevada 89146
(702) 486-3303

1755 East Plumb Lane, Suite 216
Reno, NV 89502
(775) 688-2800

Charter Limousines, Charter Buses, Transportation Network Companies, Taxicabs outside Clark County, Non-Emergency Medical Transfer, Special Services, Airport Transfer and Tours. 
All Household Goods Movers, Intrastate Tour Operators, Tow Cars, Employer Van Pools

Nevada Seal

Taxicab Authority
2090 E. Flamingo Road, Suite 200
Las Vegas, NV 89119
(702) 486-4000

Taxicabs within Clark County.

DMV Logo

Motor Carrier
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711-0600
(775) 684-4711

Interstate Motor Carriers (Trucking and Bus Lines)
Intrastate Carriers of Common Goods (except Household Goods)
All Fuel Suppliers, Dealers and Related Businesses

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Nevada Office
705 North Plaza Street, Suite 204
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone: (775) 687-5335

Any business which operates interstate and has vehicles over 10,001 pounds, vehicles which transport 15 or more passengers or vehicles which transport placarded hazardous materials.
Issues U.S. DOT numbers.

DMV Logo

Compliance Enforcement Division
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711-0875
(775) 684-4690

Vehicle Dealers and Brokers, Rental Agencies, Manufacturers, Rebuilders, Transporters, Wreckers, Salvage Pools, Repair Shops, Body Shops, emission inspection Stations and Driving Schools.

Nevada Seal

Manufactured Housing Division
3300 W. Sahara Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89104
(702) 486-4135

Manufactured Housing Dealers and Titles
Manufactured homes are taxed by County Assessors.

Ambulance Certification is handled by cities and counties.
Emergency light, amber light and hazardous materials permits are issued by the Nevada Highway Patrol.
For information on trip/fuel permits, visit DMV Motor Carrier.
Oversize load permits are issued by the Nevada Department of Transportation.

Other Contacts Top ↑

Silver Flume logo

Silver Flume
Secretary of State
101 North Carson Street, Suite 3
Carson City, NV 89701
(775) 684-5708

SilverFlume - - is a valuable tool to start and expand businesses, guiding you through State Business Licensing, Workers’ Compensation, Taxation and much more. The New Business Checklist can provide you a quick summary of which licenses you’ll need, estimated cost, and time to obtain licensing.

Nevada Commission on Economic Development

Nevada Governor's Office of Economic Development
(800) 336-1600
808 West Nye Lane
Carson City, Nevada 89703
(775) 687-9900

555 East Washington Ave., Suite 5400
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
(702) 486-2700

Demographics and resources. Links to regional development authorities.

Nevada Dept of Transportation

Nevada Department of

1263 South Stewart Street
Carson City, Nevada 89712
(775) 888-7000

Motorist, Road and Weather Information, Maps, Overdimensional Permits

Nevada Highway Patrol

Nevada Highway Patrol
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711-0525
(775) 687-5300

Commercial Enforcement
Hazardous Materials Permits
Emergency and Amber Light Permits

Nevada Division of Wildlife logo

Nevada Division of Wildlife
P.O. Box 10678
1100 Valley Road
Reno, NV 89520
(775) 688-1500

Water Vessel Registration

Nevada Department of Taxation

Department of Taxation
1550 E. College Parkway
Carson City, NV 89706
(775) 684-2000

General Business, Sales and Use Taxes
10% Short-Term Lessor Fee

Nevada Legislature

Nevada Law
Nevada State Legislature
401 S. Carson St.
Carson City, Nevada 89701-4747
(775) 684-6800

Online access to:
Nevada Revised Statutes
Nevada Administrative Code
State Legislators